Flip Kit w/ Lift Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
I want to lower my truck a little now, and maybe a lot later. I also did not want to cut the bed support on my 84 short bed stepside C10, which is why I am not just installing a set of drop shackles at this time.

Current plan is to install a flip kit, which would give me too much drop, and then raise the truck back up with lift shackles to the desired height. The shackles would also allow me to ensure the truck is level right to left. Currently the drivers side is lower by an inch.

When it's time to drop it more, I can just put the stock shakles back on.

Anything wrong with this plan? Seems to work on paper.

Thanks,
Stepperado

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard. So you are saying install a flip kit and a shackle flip kit to achieve your goal?

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
That will work fine, but you need to be sure to check your pinion angle. Flip brackets sometimes have correction built in, and lift shackles may un-do or over-do that.

Additionally, flip kits are not a great piece of engineering. That add stack tolerance variation, meaning they allow opportunity for things to shift and move. Only a week ago, a fellow I know tore the spring perches from his axle due to a sudden shift in his flip kit under power.

For me, I used a shackle and hanger kit to achieve less drop. If I do ever perform a flip, I just install new perches on the bottom of the axle tube.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Since the rear shackles are the tension design (opposed to compression), there's no "lift" shackles available. The stockers are already fairly short.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I want to lower my truck a little now, and maybe a lot later. I also did not want to cut the bed support on my 84 short bed stepside C10, which is why I am not just installing a set of drop shackles at this time.

Current plan is to install a flip kit, which would give me too much drop, and then raise the truck back up with lift shackles to the desired height. The shackles would also allow me to ensure the truck is level right to left. Currently the drivers side is lower by an inch.

When it's time to drop it more, I can just put the stock shakles back on.

Anything wrong with this plan? Seems to work on paper.

Thanks,
Stepperado
I would lower it the height you want to start with(I'm assuming 3/5in drop) but if you want the "temporary 2in drop in the rear" your much better off installing the 2in drop shackles and cutting a notch in the bed brace.

Your other options are drop spring hangers in the front or moving the stock hanger up 4in on the frame but those options may cause pinion angle problems.

Other options are drop leaf springs or manipulating your stock leaf springs but both of these methods decrease pay load capacity.

Your final option would be to install the flip kit then buy tires much taller in the rear to lift it back up.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Ughh............

Well, I'm glad to get such informative responses, but I can't say I like what I hear. Sounds like for me personally, since I'm dead bent on not cutting my truck, drop leaf springs are the way to go. Now I have to decide how bad I want this because the drop springs I have found are rather pricey.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Use a shackle and hanger kit. It's as low you get without cutting. I'm loving mine.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Are you saying a shackle/hanger combo will not require cutting of the brace that runs under the bed? On a short bed truck? I know I'm new to these trucks, but everything I've read to date says cutting of the cross member is required.

titomars

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
Are you saying a shackle/hanger combo will not require cutting of the brace that runs under the bed? On a short bed truck? I know I'm new to these trucks, but everything I've read to date says cutting of the cross member is required.

I am not sure about your year, but my 77 step side does not have any bed cross member in the way of lowering shackles. My shackles clear the bed floor by maybe 3/8 inch.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am not sure about your year, but my 77 step side does not have any bed cross member in the way of lowering shackles. My shackles clear the bed floor by maybe 3/8 inch.

My stepside has a bed crossmember in the way too. Is yours a long bed? Or have 56" rear springs maybe?

titomars

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
My stepside has a bed crossmember in the way too. Is yours a long bed? Or have 56" rear springs maybe?

no its a stock configured 1977 short box step side. I have no idea on the spring length but it is a factory 454 C/10. I will post a picture of the shackles tomorrow. if I can figure out how on this forum.

Attachments

• 77 C10 013115 small.jpg
    77 C10 013115 small.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
no its a stock configured 1977 short box step side. I have no idea on the spring length but it is a factory 454 C/10. I will post a picture of the shackles tomorrow. if I can figure out how on this forum.

That's a very nice truck! Being a 454 truck from the factory, it probably has the longer (56" rather than 52") springs, which I was not sure if the factory ever used on a short bed truck. But I guess they did! Cause I'm pretty sure your rear spring hangers are further back on the frame than mine, judging by your bumper-less picture.

titomars

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/10
Engine Size
That's a very nice truck! Being a 454 truck from the factory, it probably has the longer (56" rather than 52") springs, which I was not sure if the factory ever used on a short bed truck. But I guess they did! Cause I'm pretty sure your rear spring hangers are further back on the frame than mine, judging by your bumper-less picture.

Thanks! You may be right. When I was swapping the shackles, I had this nagging feeling something was a bit different. See I worked for GM back in the day when these trucks were still fairly new. Both as a line mechanic and a parts manager. and I don't recall the rear spring hangers being just a few inches away from the ends of the frame rails. But that was also 35 years ago and my memory is not perfect anymore. I wish I had my old parts manuals for these now. I know the history of my truck. I am the 2nd owner also the build sheet is still in the glove box.

Attachments

• 77 C10 112214 (3) small.jpg
    77 C10 112214 (3) small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 275

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Thanks! You may be right. When I was swapping the shackles, I had this nagging feeling something was a bit different. See I worked for GM back in the day when these trucks were still fairly new. Both as a line mechanic and a parts manager. and I don't recall the rear spring hangers being just a few inches away from the ends of the frame rails. But that was also 35 years ago and my memory is not perfect anymore. I wish I had my old parts manuals for these now. I know the history of my truck. I am the 2nd owner also the build sheet is still in the glove box.

You can easily tell if you have 56in or 52in leads by the position of the rear hanger as you seem to have noticed. The shackle hanger is behind the rear crossmember with 56in leafs and in front of the rear crossmember with 52in leafs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35