just added flip kit and truck rides rough in the rear, Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSupraman94

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
so i recently did a lwb to swb conversion on my 1987 gmc r1500 and did a 5 inch flip kit at the same time. the truck is super stiff in the back , I have brand new gabriel shocks but feels very rough. I noticed recently that this truck has 5 leafs plus the thicker short leaf on the bottom. I have looked at a few other original swb trucks and they only have 3 leafs plus the thick one . I am wondering if I removed a few leafs if that might help my situation. ill add pics tomorrow

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That would help and would also drop the truck a bit more. But the main thing is, did you put shock extenders in the rear? They correct the shock angle so they'll function correctly

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Did you remove the bumps stops? If it is sitting on them (or close) it's going to hit and ride rough.

Pics of the rear axle/frame area could help us.

SSupraman94

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
That would help and would also drop the truck a bit more. But the main thing is, did you put shock extenders in the rear? They correct the shock angle so they'll function correctly
yes i did with factory height shocks

SSupraman94

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Did you remove the bumps stops? If it is sitting on them (or close) it's going to hit and ride rough.

Pics of the rear axle/frame area could help us.
yes they were removed and there is plenty of travel/space

SSupraman94

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I am headed to Pate swap meet tomorrow and will be gone for a few days ill post pics as soon as i get back

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You have 5 springs in addition to the main spring on a 2wd 1/2 ton (and a lowered one at that)? Jeez yeah, there's your problem. Back in the day someone was trying to use that longbed as an actual truck (that was the point of longbed pickups, and basically all trucks back then) so they obviously stiffened it up some for extra load capacity. Put those springs back to stock for a shortbed 1/2 ton and you'll notice the difference right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes