Finding the right replacement rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpecialG

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
The spare tire for my '84 C1500 6.2 was stolen and I'm trying to find a replacement- they're hard to find! If a wheel has a different code stamped on it near the valve stem than my current wheels have, does that automatically mean it won't fit? Is there a way to decipher these codes to see if the wheels are compatible? My OE wheels have MI 4 3 15 XAJ stamped on them, which I don't know how to decipher or if this is even relevant.

My current wheels are 15x8, can I use a 15x6 as a spare as long as it has the same lug pattern (regardless of what's stamped on it)? Or will the width difference affect brake functioning? I really don't want to buy a new rim for my spare tire! If I can make a used one work well enough to get me to a service station, that's all I need.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You definitely need to be sure it will clear the brake calipers. I am not rim savvy, but I do know that much about them. I'm sure there are some on here that can tell you exactly what to get for a replacement.

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
A 15x6 should be fine for a spare.
As long as the bolt pattern is the same.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Austin Wrench A Part always has a few 5x5 rims that will fit your truck for about $15. I don't know what they charge, but LKQ on South Congress does too.

Basically any GM and even some Fords and Chryslers with a 5x5 bolt pattern built after 1969 will work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher