Find Out How Much Your Speedo Is Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clickerson

Reaction score
GPS or chase car. :3

You can find out exactly how far off your speedo is at any speed by simply getting one comparison. So, since neither of those "calculators" take gearing into account, they're not very accurate, unless you have stock gearing and stock speedo gear, which is something many of us don't have.

Last edited:

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
I just used my GPS to calcuate my percentage difference. Is there a place to get new speedo gears to bring it back into sync? If so, is there a chart for picking the right gear? I have a SM465 trans, NP208 Transfer Case and am running 3.42 gears in a 14bolt/10bolt axle combo. Tires are 285/16.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:think:

Mike D

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another way to determine speedo error is to drive on the Interstate highway. Bring a friend with a watch with a second hand. If you concentrate on driving 60 mph according to the speedo, have your friend time in seconds the time it takes you to pass each mile markers on the Interstate. If you are truely doing 60 mph you will pass a mile marker every 60 seconds. Adjust your speed (faster or slower ) so that you pass every mile marker in exactly 60 seconds. The difference of 60 minus your speedo is the error.

Illuminati

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/Silverado
Engine Size
350 4bbl
I wish there was a conversion that could be done just to compensate the speedo and be done with it....my speedo is 10mph off from the tires and just watch that and the GPS. it is a pain in the ass tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metalmechanic