FI Dual Tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there an actual right and left side tank and do the 87+ versions have baffles in them for the FI pumps?

There was a time I found (what I thought) was 2 different PNs for a left or right side tank. Now I see many will say they are the same. I also see none of the vendors mentioning an interior baffle and some showing the same tank for 83-87. ?!

I need to find new tanks for my 85 - is going LS soon and my tanks need pulled (full of garbage) anyways.

Thanks.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Tanks can be used on either side, senders are specific. 87 saddles are baffled.

Different p/n maybe 16 vs 20?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
not meaning to jack this thread. but along the same lines. can the switch valve handle the higher pressure of a ls pump?

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
The right and left side are the same as far as mounting, but senders are specific to side and different for 87.
There are also different part numbers for the 87 tanks vs. the rest (spectrum is GM11C for the 87 FI vs GM11B for 86 and back) due to baffles (and a sump, I think).
I just went through this and it's confusing, but the 87 sounds like what you'd want across the board.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
From what I have read, the later switches are rated at 65psi, whereas the originals were about half that.
I used the BWD FSV3 valve from advance auto on my TBI, but I couldn't tell you if it's rated for higher pressure than the old TBI system. The FSV2 is supposedly rated to 65psi working pressure, but I couldn't find specs for the FSV3.
I'm not even sure what pressures you'd be looking at.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the help on the tank PNs - I have seen those numbers but some say 'no baffles' and some dont. Doubtful many of these vendors even know what they sell.

I do need to find out more on the LS fuel pressures. Found a 6.0 for a very doable price, but details liek this are going to have to be clarified before I start pulling stuff apart.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Thanks for the help on the tank PNs - I have seen those numbers but some say 'no baffles' and some dont. Doubtful many of these vendors even know what they sell.

I do need to find out more on the LS fuel pressures. Found a 6.0 for a very doable price, but details liek this are going to have to be clarified before I start pulling stuff apart.

looks like 50-60 psi range so 65 should handle it.. worst case scenario you could run low pressure pumps in the tanks and a hi pressure pump after the valve.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That was kind of a Plan B scenario. Cars I've worked on for decades had 2 pumps - an intank LP and a chassis pump that was HP.

Plenty of fellas here have swapped LS's in - so gotta be a way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486