Few questions about wheels/tires - 79 Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ih8vols

Reaction score
First Name
SC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2002 LS1 4.8
Hello, I've never bought rims for a vehicle before, so this is all new to me. I have a few questions.

Below is a pic of my truck. It's a 1979. I just lowered it 3/5.

The rims on it currently at 15" stock. Current tire sizes are 255/70/15.

I've been browsing different tires that I like and have found a few. However, when I try to use the filter by truck model, it never matches. Tonight I happened to check Discount Tires and did their filters and one of the wheels I really like came back as a match to my truck with a 10mm offset.

1. How can I be certain these rims and later the tires will work? Am I good to trust the Discount Tires filter?
  2. It's hard for me to "picture" these tires on my truck, think they will look ok? I was looking at 18"x8.5" Link: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-legend-5
  3. I won't get the tires just yet, but was looking at getting some 255/45/18 or maybe 255/40/18. Any thoughts on how these would look with my setup?
  4. Should I buy 1 extra wheel to have as an extra should something happen to one of the others? Do they fail often?
Appreciate the help!

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hello, I've never bought rims for a vehicle before, so this is all new to me. I have a few questions.

I've been browsing different tires that I like and have found a few. However, when I try to use the filter by truck model, it never matches. Tonight I happened to check Discount Tires and did their filters and one of the wheels I really like came back as a match to my truck with a 10mm offset.

1. How can I be certain these rims and later the tires will work? Am I good to trust the Discount Tires filter?
  2. It's hard for me to "picture" these tires on my truck, think they will look ok? I was looking at 18"x8.5" Link: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-legend-5
  3. I won't get the tires just yet, but was looking at getting some 255/45/18 or maybe 255/40/18. Any thoughts on how these would look with my setup?
  4. Should I buy 1 extra wheel to have as an extra should something happen to one of the others? Do they fail often?
Appreciate the help!

Round eye stepper, my fave!!!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Your biggest concern with them working/fitting will be the offset/backspace. But if you're only lowered 3" I don't see anything that would cause an issue.

Those are a pretty common style, similar versions made by other companies. Google c10 wheels and it'll bring up tons of pics and you can get an idea there.

With the 255 width and 40 profile there will probably be a decent amount of space between the top of the tire and fender. The pic at the bottom is mine with 275/45-18 (18x9.5") rear and 245/45-18 (18x8") front and they're just slightly tucked. This is with rear flip with 1" shackles and 5" in front (total: 6"/5").

If you got the extra cash for an extra wheel/tire you can always do it to have a full size spare and use it in the rotation, they'll last just a little longer as well. You'd want to get the same width all the away around though.

ih8vols

Reaction score
First Name
SC
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2002 LS1 4.8
Awesome. That helps! Your truck looks nice!!!

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
SC, that's a nice truck you have there. Pretty much what I'm looking for. I also like the wheels you picked. They will look good.

For me, I'd just stick with the factory wheels and paint them.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

Appreciate the help!

Wow, I love that truck. If you are going to different tire sizes, it is important to take your own measurements. Don't try to rely on a tire and wheel site. Work backwards from your desired tire size and measure all of your clearances, frame suspension etc. Then specify your offset/back spacing to the wheel provider that you choose. Good luck.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^What cstew said.
If you’re trying to figure out a custom application, learn what tire sizes mean for width and diameter and learn what offset and backspacing are.
Then you can compare the size and position of the wheel/tire you’re considering to what is in the truck now. (IE, tire is an inch wider and half inch taller and sticks out x amount more or less than current tire. Then check clearance at the closest points to interferences when front wheels are turned and add/subtract the appropriate dimensions from your current wheels to approximate clearance with a new combo.
Hope that helps.

And no you should not trust discount tires online chart. DT is more for stock sizes iMO. Maybe check with or use the calculator on custom offset wheels .com to help in your analysis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te