Fan clutch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Hi all, first post to the forum but I've been lurking for awhile. At any rate, I've got a 90 V1500 that just seized the fan clutch, and now that I'm looking at all of the different options for them, is there a sure-fire RPO that would tell me which one I need?

She's a tow-pack car, and I suspect a 3:73 ratio rear. How can I tell for sure? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Let's see some pics of that bad boy

I am getting a flex fan for next summer. Hell with the fuel mileage. I run mostly around town, towing a boat every day after work. Lots of stop and go, quick trips. Phuckit.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Let's see some pics of that bad boy

I am getting a flex fan for next summer. Hell with the fuel mileage. I run mostly around town, towing a boat every day after work. Lots of stop and go, quick trips. Phuckit.

I was actually thinking about doing the opposite: get rid of the fan. I'm mostly highway these days ... But then I remembered that I live in the southern states and not Alaska so I guess the fan stays.

I just got back from a road trip in the old girl. I don't always drive it as much as I used to, but every time I do, I remember how much I like it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Rock Auto has a pretty good list of fan clutches, it even drills down to what axle ratio you have determines the part number. Don't cheap out though, a friend that runs a high volume repair shop said the only ones he can install and not have come-backs are the AC Delco units.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Rock Auto has a pretty good list of fan clutches, it even drills down to what axle ratio you have determines the part number. Don't cheap out though, a friend that runs a high volume repair shop said the only ones he can install and not have come-backs are the AC Delco units.

Thanks for the advice. I saw the list on Rock Auto and then went digging through the RPOs to confirm that the burb is a 3.73 rear end. I'll get something ordered and get it fixed.

It actually came from the factory with limited slip too, but the previous owner didn't rebuild that when he did the rear end. I've never needed it, but it's always bothered me that it isn't there anymore...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

That caught my attention

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Nice to have another 'burb join up!

Don't use anything but an ACDelco fan clutch. Anything else is a cheap copy and will fail within about a year. I believe the one you want is for counter-clockwise rotation, for a 1990 tbi 5.7L

Mine has the 3.42' and my limited slip is just the gov-lock version where a certain number of rotations of the right rear wheel screws a pin into the assembly, locking it with the left rear wheel. Those pins are easily sheered off, especially if someone spun the right wheel on pavement, so that might be all yours needs if you care to have it working again.

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350

I agree...just got a new AC Delco unit from them for my '73 454

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels