Extra Electrical Connectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I just bought a 1990 Suburban V1500 with the 6.2l and a 700r4. This is the first Chevy truck I have owned but not the first older Chevy I've owned. Truck is fairly clean, but it is obvious someone has been fiddling with it. It has a 'J code' intake on it and the EPR valve have been deleted, but they left the solenoids and associated wiring and vacuum lines. The wiring is a nightmare. Splices all over. The truly concerning part is all of the extra electrical connectors in the engine compartment, there must be 10 of them. The truck runs and drives good, so no idea where they go. Did they build a generic harness for both the gas and diesel models?

I plan to clean the wiring up and remove all of the extra crap, to include any residual emissions junk. Any pointers on how to figure out what all of this extra wiring is? The truck really does run good and everything works, so I am at a loss as to what this junk can be.

Also, it has a computer mounted to the side of the brakes master cylinder with a connector that runs to what looks like a second proportioning valve. That connector is disconnected. The brakes work fine, so not sure what to make of that. I assume it is ABS?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
computer by the master cylinder is the RWAL system - rear wheel antilock brakes.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
that early RWAL system is junk they all fail and are never in operation. just unplug the module or pull the ABS fuse and leave it be.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If everything works and it runs well, DON'T MESS WITH IT!.

Hide the wires inside some split loom and have a great day!

bad_idea

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
If everything works and it runs well, DON'T MESS WITH IT!.

Hide the wires inside some split loom and have a great day!

Sorry, just not my style. It nags at my soul. I can't sleep at night thinking about all that extra c-rap hanging out. :lol:

No, really, the issue is some things are not working correctly and it has some gremlins. Also, there are all kinds of wires strung across this thing with no fuses waiting to catch fire. While I'm in there removing the butchery, I want to remove the extraneous stuff too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
at least its not a teves II abs with dirty fluid AND 30 years old

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Sorry, just not my style. It nags at my soul. I can't sleep at night thinking about all that extra c-rap hanging out. :lol:

No, really, the issue is some things are not working correctly and it has some gremlins. Also, there are all kinds of wires strung across this thing with no fuses waiting to catch fire. While I'm in there removing the butchery, I want to remove the extraneous stuff too.
Random wires disconnected in an engine bay are rarely waiting to catch fire. Putting things back how they were designed could eliminate some gremlins. These trucks had fuses originally. If this 'butchery' you speak of has inline fuses maybe start there. Sleep tight.;)

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Take pictures so I can see what you’re talking about. My 87 suburban with the 6.2 is amazingly untouched except for the few mods I’ve done myself so I can be of some help hopefully.

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20