ESC need someone that knows more about ESC system than I do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffreywilson

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C1500
Engine Size
305 cid
When was ESC introduced and what was its purpose anyway? To deal with the crappy early 1980s gas? Those computers left me stranded more than once and nearly got me killed a couple of times with sudden cut-outs. Nowadays, I am thinking of bypassing mine and putting an earlier 4-pin HEI distributor in.

jeffreywilson

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C1500
Engine Size
305 cid
ESC vs. non-ESC? Benefits? Install a pre-1984 HEI distributor, use 92 octane, and keep the top engine clean and well-timed?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
When was ESC introduced and what was its purpose anyway? To deal with the crappy early 1980s gas? Those computers left me stranded more than once and nearly got me killed a couple of times with sudden cut-outs. Nowadays, I am thinking of bypassing mine and putting an earlier 4-pin HEI distributor in.

ESC vs. non-ESC? Benefits? Install a pre-1984 HEI distributor, use 92 octane, and keep the top engine clean and well-timed?
IDK if you read though the thread or not but no it was not to deal with gas. In I think 1980, the 305, was changed internally. One of the biggest changes we know about was higher compression. If you pull the ESC out and stab in a regular HEI unit it may or may not ping badly. Some people seem happy with the results others are not. My truck did not like not having ESC, without it I had to retard the base timing to 2D BEFORE TDC to get it to not ping, but it ran like crap hesitating if I hit the gas hard, fuel economy went down ect. If I timed it to anywhere near close to spec it would ping like mad.

Benefits: ESC system keeps as much timing in the engine without pinging. It actively listens for pinging and retards the timing if it picks up on pinging, and since the sensor is right on the side of the block, it will pick up on ping and take action before you'd hear it, under most conditions.

So I think that answers most of your questions. Could you run 92, yes, for me at least I could fill it with 92 and it would ping a lot less, maybe well enough to get away with. BUT it would still ping a little and frankly I just didn't think it made any sense. Run 92 and pay the extra $.50 - $.75 a gallon, or fix the ESC system, buy lower grade gas, get pretty much the same mileage and power. No brainer for me, since I drive the truck a lot, and haul with it. Keep in mind this generation of the 305 was literally built to have the ESC system and for that matter the EGR valve, they weren't slapped on for emissions, as some people seem to think.

If you want to try it, do the ESC bypass using a jumper wire on the 4 plug of the distributor. See how you feel about it before you jump in all the way. Again for me it was terrible. And I did try a regular HEI distributor, seemed like the timing curve was all wrong.

jeffreywilson

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C1500
Engine Size
305 cid
Thanks for the info. Those ESC modules never seemed reliable to me. I have a collection of 5 of them now from car-part.com. At one point I replaced my knock sensor too. Plus they are somewhat scary. They can cut your ignition off almost violently on the highway, nearly throwing you through the windshield, not to mention vehicles behind you.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. Those ESC modules never seemed reliable to me. I have a collection of 5 of them now from car-part.com. At one point I replaced my knock sensor too. Plus they are somewhat scary. They can cut your ignition off almost violently on the highway, nearly throwing you through the windshield, not to mention vehicles behind you.
Yea, I have to agree with that. I had one reman module fail in a similar way.

I still think the system is a decent for it's time, the biggest problem is getting replacement modules that are any good. Honestly the best thing would probably be to send one to a module rebuilder and have it gone though, but expect that to be around $500.

To me the biggest downfall is there is no trouble code storage nor anyway to monitor what it is doing. A simple light on the box that could flash a code would at least have been helpful, but I mean it's a pretty simple system really.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
please do tell, what drove you to replyto this dead thread, and what makes you so passionate. There are two wires you say, show us your two wires. Dont be rude or we might show you some wires without insulation on it take that.l

I miss @AuroraGirl ..who ran her off?

Dude I was gonna check out this thread and see if I could help...but wtf is up with 15 pages ?

I suggest to Pull the EGR and ice pick the intake passages with a vacuum cleaner and re-install . The valve passing function test means veerrrrry little.
Knock sensors are cheap. If you're whackin on the block with a hammer...they are made of porcelain like a spark plug aren't they? Getcha a new one and don't tighten it too much.

Maybe desensitizing is in order .. you can wrap the threads in teflon tape.

I only made it to page 2.
Hope this helps!

Ethanol is bad, mmmkay? You shouldn't use Ethanol.
Mmmkay?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I miss @AuroraGirl ..who ran her off?

Dude I was gonna check out this thread and see if I could help...but wtf is up with 15 pages ?

I suggest to Pull the EGR and ice pick the intake passages with a vacuum cleaner and re-install . The valve passing function test means veerrrrry little.
Knock sensors are cheap. If you're whackin on the block with a hammer...they are made of porcelain like a spark plug aren't they? Getcha a new one and don't tighten it too much.

Maybe desensitizing is in order .. you can wrap the threads in teflon tape.

I only made it to page 2.
Hope this helps!

Ethanol is bad, mmmkay? Don't use Ethanol mmmkay?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hey buddy it's been a while!! How you been? How's the job? I took on an additional sentence but it came with a pretty decent raise at least.

Most of the pages are me reserecting the ESC system on my truck. You didn't miss much unless you want to see me slowly out lining the system and discussing bad parts. So that's WTF is up with 15 pages.

I agree with the clearing of the EGR passages, for sure, but disagree with the ethanol thing. If you have a clean fuel system and all your rubber is newer, so it's approved for ethanol it's just fine at 10% as long as you run your truck often enough for it not to go bad in the tanks. mmmmkay?

I tease you a little Rusty, but I hope your doing well.

Oh there is a thread for @AuroraGirl and ya I miss her too.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sorry just jumping in and not my intent to highjack. my truck has a mid 90s 350, the distributor ESC wires have been jumpered together ( black and green) am I correct to assume that all of the ESC wires coming thru the firewall can be left disconnected? Long slow rebuild, i don't recall anything connected from the firewall. but covering my a$$

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
sorry just jumping in and not my intent to highjack. my truck has a mid 90s 350, the distributor ESC wires have been jumpered together ( black and green) am I correct to assume that all of the ESC wires coming thru the firewall can be left disconnected? Long slow rebuild, i don't recall anything connected from the firewall. but covering my a$$
mid 90's? By the mid-90's all the trucks were fuel injected and the spark control was completely different.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Bought the truck and it was jumpered. Was just wondering if there was any reason to keep the wiring.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Oh brother!
I'm feeling a page 16 comin on. :dancingpoop:
Yes, page 16 is commin' but don't you oh brother me, buddy 16 pages later I'm still enjoying the discussion!
Bought the truck and it was jumpered. Was just wondering if there was any reason to keep the wiring.
Ken you said it's a mid-90's 350... Is that as in it's an older truck that has had a vortec 350 installed in it? I'm just trying to make sure I give good advise. If that's the case then yea rip it out, as long as you never plan to go back to an 80's vintage 305.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Page 16 woo hoo,did I get it? Do I win?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member