Equal - Tire Balancing Beads, No weights to Lose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RacingTurtles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Apu
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Geneva Edition
Engine Size
350 tbi
Just to give an update :
I did get my powdercoated wheels and I ended up just getting all new BFGs on.
For the cost of $1100, knowing that I'm on good tires and not some crappy chinese tires it was worth it.
I'm usually with my dogs most of the time in my burb and it's just not worth it.

I have the 31 x 10.5 x R15 BFG KO2 all terrain T/A
15 x 8 +0 non-beadlock wheels ( either 4" of backspacing or 3.75 I don't exactly remember )
I used the metalTac airsoft beads ( same as what 77 K20 used up above ), 6 ounces of it.

There's some math below to give some reasoning.

As far as quantity, I used the ratio of 1 oz beads for every 13 pounds of tire & wheel weight.
I individually weighed each tire, each rim, and then did some math/googled for weight of the air.

Air = 30 psi of air is about 0.16 pounds which is 2.56 ounces. I just used a value of 3 ounces since I wanted to be at 35 psi.

Air = 3 ounces at 35psi
Tire weights = 44.4 lb average
Rims = 20.8 lbs average
Total is about 65.5 lbs

so 65.5 lb wheel weight x [ ( 1 ounce balancing bead ) / (13 lb wheel weight)]
= 5.04 ounces of balancing beads

According to the following links it is recommended to put 6 oz balancing beads if you use my tire and wheel specs.
I put 6 ounces since the charts said to, I could air up some more, in the snowy areas I may use them I could get snow/ice buildup and it would increase wheel weight, and some other members above suggested using a little more. Now that the tires are aired up I probably should have weighed them to see what they are all together.

Dont mind the little bit of grease/lube. I'll clean them up and get them on later tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Last year for my birthday my wife emptied my ebay account and one of the few random packages was were these beads. Each tire different amount. There for my Scout with bias swampers 9-34s

RacingTurtles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Apu
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Geneva Edition
Engine Size
350 tbi
Just to provide an update, my tires are pretty nice.
Annoyed that I caught a nail literally 1 week into having this setup.
But most of my driving is highway, and this is a smooth setup.
I use this mainly to go upstate so it's about 90 miles highway and 5 on gravel/dirt.
It's smooth even with my ball joints that are loosey goosey.

I don't really notice the beads. I'm sure if I drove in stop and go traffic I would.
But on rural roads and highway I don't.

The only downside is getting them in the tire. I did it during the tire install while the tire was getting the second bead on.
When the tire tech used the air blast some of them came flying out.
I'd say try to put them in some pouch that will disintegrate or use ones that go in through the valve stem.

I will use them again and recommend them.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Thanks for the update @RacingTurtles

I'd say try to put them in some pouch that will disintegrate or use ones that go in through the valve stem.

FYI, I've used the small ceramic beads that are designed to go in through the valve stem. They work well to balance the tires and, like you, I don't notice them in the tires at all.

I will say that feeding several ounces of those beads through each valve stem was a huge PITA. Each wheels took hours to do and I would not recommend it.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
ive had these beads in my Harley best move i made. tires were balanced the whole time till i fried one. hahahaha believe it or not it was still balanced good.. im a believer for sure. it got me home

Attachments

• 42209 miles (2).jpg
    42209 miles (2).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes