engine swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth F.

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20?
Engine Size
400sbc
I bought a 1988 3/4 ton crew cab last week it has a 350 TBI in it now but he is getting it back he wanted more than I was willing to give, so I'm gonna swap it out to a 400 sbc tomorrow carbureted what problems will I run into? I have a running 1973 I plan to rob parts from if needed the 400 is ready to start as it sits in the floor do I need to swap anything off the 88 before dropping it in?

Thanks
Kenneth

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
so let me get this straight. ur swapping a 400 out of a 73, into the 88, that isn't even urs?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm lost too. He's getting it back, but you're putting a SBC 400 in it first???

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I read that four times and all I know for sure is that his name is Kenneth.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok I got it..He is giving the 350 TBI back so he dont have to pay as much for the truck. He is putting his own 400 in it now. You will have some extra wires for the tbi sitting in there other than that it should be pretty straight forward swap. exhaust might not match up. need a throttle cable

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
ok I got it..He is giving the 350 TBI back so he dont have to pay as much for the truck. He is putting his own 400 in it now. You will have some extra wires for the tbi sitting in there other than that it should be pretty straight forward swap. exhaust might not match up. need a throttle cable
:grd:

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

yea, that makes sense now. just drop it in, use the 350 manifolds, and plug up ur distributor, alternator and it should crank. then do ur P/S, and other accesories. if ur running a TBI 400 use ur TBI intake and throw the carb intake on the 350 :wave:

Kenneth F.

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20?
Engine Size
400sbc

Dead on!!! I have a set of headers I hope to put on it. he wanted $750 for the TBI 350 I just couldn't justify it. I have a 350 in the 73 plus the 400 I'm putting in it.

The 400 is set down in it. so far its going good the alternator bracket came up a 1/2" short on the aluminium intake on the 400 put everything back on it tomorrow and fire it up

Sorry for the confusion
Kenneth

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dead on!!! I have a set of headers I hope to put on it. he wanted $750 for the TBI 350 I just couldn't justify it. I have a 350 in the 73 plus the 400 I'm putting in it.

The 400 is set down in it. so far its going good the alternator bracket came up a 1/2" short on the aluminium intake on the 400 put everything back on it tomorrow and fire it up

Sorry for the confusion
Kenneth

Hellllllllllll NO. You're right. $750 for a 350TBI or Even Vortec is to damn much. Unless of course its a brand new remanufactured motor. Maybe $500 if it was complete TBI to Pan, flywheel to balancer and 25K or less miles. For $750 you can work over the SBC 400 and bring some good life out of it. What condition is your 400 in? Used, New, Blowing Smoke or what??? Was it a long block? You got the right heads on it right? Ones with steam holes for the siamese cylinders? Some are not aware you MUST HAVE STEAM HOLES drilled into heads you put on a SBC 400 if they are not originally 400 heads. Also be sure to use the correct balancer as the 400 uses a different balancer than other small block chevys.

BTW, Welcome aboard. Don't be afraid to be a pic ***** and post up lots of pics, and ask lots of questions, or add your 2 cents and help others when and where you can on other threads. Glad to have you here. :handshake:

Kenneth F.

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20?
Engine Size
400sbc
The 400 is compete air filter to oil pan (the fan was missing) the guy I bought the motor from traded on the truck and was gonna scrap it, the body was all to hell. he was told it was rebuilt that was all he knew I know it runs good and has plenty of power I'll be putting valve cover gaskets on it I'll get the head numbers

The TBI is supposed to have only 300 miles on it. It's remanufactured, the last one we got through the shop was just a little over $800(been a while) I'd go that route if that's what I wanted do I'd have the warranty LOL

The alternator bracket was only the second problem. the lift won't spread wide enough to pick it up safely the back arms need to set where the frame angles up I'll be welding some wedges on it for lift points but rolling on the floor for now

I'll get some pics but the truck is about as ugly a yellow as you can find

Kenneth

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't worry about ugly. Many of us have some real ugly trucks including me having multiple uglies. Imann had one even uglier than mine and he posted up over a year ago. Recently he's sanded it and rattle can primed it with some Centerline wheels he stole for $100, a grill from Rock Auto for $25. Its been great watching it evolve slowly and what a difference from a year ago.

If you had to have a TBI350, maybe that isn't a bad deal if if came with some warranty, but I'm with you, I think I'd rock that 400 for less cash.

Kenneth F.

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20?
Engine Size
400sbc
The 400

I'll try to get a better pic if the truck when I get it out if the shop
So the headers were a flop driver side wouldn't clear the slave cylinder I ordered a set to be here first thing in the morning I think they are flo techs? Thats all that's left other than fixing the tube on the carb its started leaking since its been setting

Can anybody tell me where I can find out which holley I have? One of the numbers in it was 1850 if I remember right

Kenneth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop