Engine for offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Propane sounds like a band-aid for something that isnt correct.

Propane is just another viable fuel that happens to have really high octane allowing high compression engines. It has less BTUs than gas but the ability to run high compression makes up for it. It's cheap, clean (less emissions than a Prius imo) and engines last longer using it. Engines
don't stall at extreme angles. Yes it is harder to source and you need a large heavy tank but these are small sacrifices in my life. It is my favorite fuel all around.
Propane has a bad rap from the popular conversions in the late 80's. Duel fuel engines don't work worth a fart mainly because the timing curve becomes a compromise for both gasoline and 'pane.

A few years back, well about 12 years back I was running an '88 Chev van with a 383 propane 10.1 compression and auto. It smoked the tires even when the van was loaded (to a point). At this time 'pane cost .69c a litre. I can't remember what premium gasoline costs but I do remember the results of my math. If I took the cost of my fuel consumption and converted to the quantity of premium gasoline, my van was pulling a solid 22 mpg driving over mountains with a dirtbike, tools and beer on board.

Anyway sorry I don't mean to highjack the thread. I was thinking about opening a thread on propane to see who here has experience and appreciation for the fuel as I do.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Propane is just another viable fuel that happens to have really high octane allowing high compression engines. It has less BTUs than gas but the ability to run high compression makes up for it. It's cheap, clean (less emissions than a Prius imo) and engines last longer using it.

This is the problem with E85, although not cheaper. Its cleaner burning and high octane and people mix it with 93 octane in turbo cars, but less BTUs and why a gas engine really shouldnt use it. It allows for higher boost which is why you still mix E85 to 93 at about 1:15. If you have ever seen the window stickers on newer cars where they put E85 numbers, you've seen that gas mileage falls. (I know that we are definitely not talking about mileage here with these applications. Just proving that you need the BTU's in gasoline.)

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
This is the problem with E85, although not cheaper. Its cleaner burning and high octane and people mix it with 93 octane in turbo cars, but less BTUs and why a gas engine really shouldnt use it. It allows for higher boost which is why you still mix E85 to 93 at about 1:15. If you have ever seen the window stickers on newer cars where they put E85 numbers, you've seen that gas mileage falls. (I know that we are definitely not talking about mileage here with these applications. Just proving that you need the BTU's in gasoline.)

I don't mix E85 with anything, I pump it right from the nozzle to the tank lol.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You run E85 straight. E85 loves boost, compression and timing and will have lower operating temps. Around here it's cheaper then E10 and 1/2 the price of straight gas. And 1/5th the cost of race fuel
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

theBIGnaud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Vortec 350
Op, look into some books in purpose building engines/drive train. It can get pretty interesting..

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
You run E85 straight. E85 loves boost, compression and timing and will have lower operating temps. Around here it's cheaper then E10 and 1/2 the price of straight gas. And 1/5th the cost of race fuel
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Down here in Dallas, E85 is usually around the same price as 87 octane. That said, I have never known anyone with a Mazdaspeed 3/6, Evo, or Subbie that has ran straight E85. We all usually cut it with 93 octane. But this is for street cars where we want more boost. If it were a race application and you didnt care about *some* mpg, I could see running straight E85. But like noted, it doesnt have the BTU's as gasoline, so you need a pump a whole lot more to get the power out of it. This is notable by seeing the difference in stock engine vehicles. MPG's go way down using E85.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I have a refinery in my town, I filled up last night in my DD at 1.32 a gallon lol.

Mileage goes down by about 1/3, but price is less than 1/3. And again, I don't do anything but pump it into the tank. This is in my FJ Cruiser, wifes Audi, and my 2500HD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400