Emergency Flashers and Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello,
I have finally got my instrument clusters gauges working properly. But before I put it all back together, my horn and emergency flashers are not working. the blinkers are working correctly. Does anyone have any pointers on where to start looking to correct these two? Do I have to disassemble the steering column?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Check the fuse block.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The fuse is good. I have taken apart the steering wheel. I can get the switch on the side for the flashers to work on the right side blinking and only when the key is on. I can toggle the switch back and forth and get the same results. Do I need to replace this piece? If so, what it is it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 115

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That is the portion of the directional/hazard switch that houses the contacts required to operate the various indicating lights. Yours appears to be cracked straight through the its casing. I am definitely not an expert on this particular switch. But if I had to guess, I would say say that; yes - due to the cracked casing - the directional switch should be replaced.

The R&R procedure for the directional switch is involved - and it terrifies many people.

But its not too bad - if you read and understand this tutorial:

http://www.truckforum.org/threads/77-gmc-steering-column-help.35364/

When you are done, you will know more than nearly anyone about disassembling a C/K upper column, replacing the various components and the reassembling it. Its supposed to be just about replacing the ignition switch rack that is attached to the lock cylinder, but to get to it requires a nearly complete tear-down. It is worth the read.

Steven

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
You might check the relay for your horn. Mine wasn't working before (******* who owned it before me hooked the radio into the horn fuse) I would hear the relay click every time I'd hit the horn. It's kinda quiet, but there and make sure your horns have a nice ground to work on. Another reason mine didn't want to work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli