Electric Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Is there an electric fuel pump I can use on my 73 that's not gravity fed?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure what you mean by gravity fed? Fuel pumps work off of suction to the best of my knowledge. For a low pressure electric pump, you can get an inline pump that doesn't have to go inside the tank. Though keep in mind, the close you can get it to the tank the better. They don't work as hard and last longer the closer you can get them to the tank.

bowtiebrian80

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet k10
Engine Size
I had an inline pump on my old Silverado and it worked great. I mounted it on the inside of the frame next to that tank.... It lasted for 30k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Not sure what your set up is and what you are looking to accomplish, but the Holley blue pump will work mounted above the tank. It is about the only one I am aware of. Most all others have to be mounted below. The blue pump would require a regulator.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This one has been working well for me:

You must be registered for see images attach

This particular model is very quiet---usually can't hear it with the engine running or not.

Installation very easy----i just took the 3/8" rubber line from the steel line that runs from the tank and hooked it to the 90 degree barb (Edelmann # 831260 1/8" NPT to 3/8" barb) On top is Russell # 660450 1/8" NPT to -6A/N. Didn't have to cut into or modify anything. Used existing holes in frame for the bracket which i custom built from materials from home depot.

Ground was easy---grounded to frame as you can see. 12V directly from fuse box when key is on. The pump only uses 1.5 to 3 amps so it's ok. Although i will eventually use a relay. i just needed the truck running asap

Pump is Facet Duralift #40303. This one self-primes to 5 feet, although some models self prime to 10 feet!

This one puts out 4.25 to 6.25 lbs. i'm running a quadrajet, so i probably only need 2-4 lbs.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/dura-lift-pumps.php

7903sc

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
On My 79 C30 with 2 tanks I tried carter and holley ext pumps and had problems towing my 30' inclosed trailer, I ended up putting a wallbro TBI intank pump in the right tank with a holley bypass regulator up by the Q Jet. so I could use both tanks I got rid of the 6port 1wire switching valve. put a delphi intank pump in the left tank 2 transfer fuel 2 the right tank. so far so good!! 1987 TBI fuel pump hangers fit perfectly in my 79 tanks!

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
On My 79 C30 with 2 tanks I tried carter and holley ext pumps and had problems towing my 30' inclosed trailer, I ended up putting a wallbro TBI intank pump in the right tank with a holley bypass regulator up by the Q Jet. so I could use both tanks I got rid of the 6port 1wire switching valve. put a delphi intank pump in the left tank 2 transfer fuel 2 the right tank. so far so good!! 1987 TBI fuel pump hangers fit perfectly in my 79 tanks!

My only concern with doing it that way is would regulating it down to 6lbs (or whatever max the quadrajet needs) would this strain the pump?

7903sc

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
My only concern with doing it that way is would regulating it down to 6lbs (or whatever max the quadrajet needs) would this strain the pump?

That is why you use a bypass style regulator, it returns unused fuel back to the tank. If you were to use a regular regulator it would put stress on the pump. On a 454 the fuel pressure spec is 6.5 - 9lbs. I have mine set at 8 psi and 10,000 miles on the pump so far with no problems.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A bypass is the only way to go IMO, no strain or heat build up anywhere in the system..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave