Eddie 1406 - Fun with adjustments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm going to rip this bastard apart when I get home.
After the truck sat for a good ten weeks so I could give the GTO some road time before she gets garaged for the winter, I hauled 'er back out for an axle swap and some other adjustments in anticipation of the cold months ahead.

My tune was ALL out of whack...

After a bout of ****** econ (13mpg down to 6mpg), I slapped the vac gauge on it last night to see what the engine had to say, and proceeded to tweak the A/F mixture.
Funny - it was perfect when I parked her, but now my best vac readings are with the A/F screws all the way in. That's not right...
The truck otherwise runs fine.

possible junk stuck in carb?
What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The idle mixture screws only control at idle so any thing above like 8-900 rpm has nothing to do with those screws. Driving down the road is all about rods and jets.

I had to lean my primaries out 12% from the box set up and 8% on the secondaries

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The idle mixture screws only control at idle so any thing above like 8-900 rpm has nothing to do with those screws. Driving down the road is all about rods and jets.

I had to lean my primaries out 12% from the box set up and 8% on the secondaries

Yeah, me, too. They come rich as hell stock from the box. My tune is all the way off the tuning chart, and dead on the numbers with the A/FR meter.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah, me, too. They come rich as hell stock from the box. My tune is all the way off the tuning chart, and dead on the numbers with the A/FR meter.

Interesting Ive have been considering going leaner too.

I found the fast idle screw lol I was looking on the wrong side

Last edited:

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Likewise... I'm jetted 12% all around at 6500ft.
She seems to have run fine today, but the needle isn't the most accurate. The pump will tell me this weekend.
...still tripped out by the fact that i'm running best at idle with the screws all the way in.

I may still yank it this weekend if not for something to do.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Likewise... I'm jetted 12% all around at 6500ft.
She seems to have run fine today, but the needle isn't the most accurate. The pump will tell me this weekend.
...still tripped out by the fact that i'm running best at idle with the screws all the way in.

I may still yank it this weekend if not for something to do.

Ya that cant be right lol. I wonder if the idle screw is adjusted in enough that its taking it just off the idle and in to the part throttle stage ?

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I tune a lot of these, and have learned to make them dance, but two things are certain.

1. none of the settings are correct out of the box. I think shipping bangs them around too much. Go through the whole thing like you're installing a refresh kit, even if it has never been installed.

2. the Edelbrock calibration kit, with all the jets, springs and needles, is essential to getting it dialed in to your application. I have never found that mystery engine combo that they designed it for!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It is so they can sell you the calibration kit for another $75.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones