Early Fuel Evaporator Relay and Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan 84K20

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Hello, I read a thread on here from a while back where a guy needed this part identified. It was a little silver box that mounted to the driver side valve cover. A plug with 4 wires inserted into this part. Another gentleman on here identified it as the Early Fuel Evaporator Relay. Essentially its job was apparently to send the signal from the pumps (auxiliary tank) to the single fuel gauge cluster the fuel level for whichever tank is selected.
My fuel system has been working great ever since I had everything but the tanks replaced in it. But the plug on that relay was old brittle plastic and upon doing some other work under the hood (kickdown cable replacement) the plug completely crumbled apart. This caused the wires to short to each other and blow the 20a fuze for the ACC slot, and I'm fairly certain the relay might be bad too. I opened it up and found some charcoal looking gunk connecting the solder on the contacts. (I'll upload pictures of it tomorrow). Either way, no dealership, no junkyard in my area, not even ACDelco or classic industries can find this part other than in GMs part catalog it shows that it's been discontinued, and thus, no part number or "superceded by" info. The relay circuit board has all the white insulation coating, so I can't read the numbers on the resistors and components inside. So I also don't know what the proper readings should be between A B C & D on a multimeter. If I could get a replacement relay and a plug for said relay, I can definitely rewire the plug and then it'll work, but I don't know which relay can successfully replace the OE relay.
If anyone knows where I can get an old one with its plug, or if they know which relay can replace it, it's be greatly appreciated. I've always got my phone on me so I'll be quick to reply.
TIA, Dan.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a link to my trucks info. Maybe from the diagram some can come up with a part number. I know mine was printed on it, but when I cleaned the engine it washed away. I know old GM motor homes are a great source for parts. I found a guy on CL that had parted one out and was selling the 454. I was able to get some emissions brackets that the buyer would have just tossed.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguid.../Throttle-Return-Control/_/P-0900c1528004c499

You must be registered for see images

Dan 84K20

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
That's a great diagram. Yeah piece number 3 is exactly what I'm looking for, as well as the plug for it. Or a replacement for both. Numbers printed on here look like
MADE IN CANADA
Z-2940
EIGHT CYL
The patent number on the receptacle is 3764976

You must be registered for see images attach

Dan 84K20

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
So I found a replacement relay on eBay for a whopping $155. Still no luck on a new plug. I might just stick the wires in it and fill the whole thing with RTV

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's another ebay seller here in Northern CA I've used. They part out a lot of GM trucks. If they have the part and it's not listed, they will create an auction for you.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rayandsamantha

Dan 84K20

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Thanks for the help, the fuel reading issue was just the fuse. But yeah it'll crank, but won't start so long as this relay is disconnected. I'm gonna hook the old one back up ghetto style and see if I can get it to start. If it works I'm thinking ill keep it how it is, and RTV the leads inside. And then promptly selling haha. I'm getting all this fixed so that I can throw it on Craigslist this weekend.

Dan 84K20

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Just confirmed the relay is still good, so I'm gonna get a new fuse and RTV and then do a road test (never got to finish the first one after putting in a new kickdown cable.) Thanks for the tech data! If you know anyone in Kansas who wants a pretty damn clean K20, it's for sale

1984k25

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
High seiarra
Engine Size
Hi is there any way to bypass that little box I'm switch from 2 tanks to 1 and would like to remove it of possible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising