Duplicolor vinyl and trim + Clear coat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hey Guys,
for the past few weekends I have removed all my trim, door panels, etc. And have painted them. I plan on doing a Build thread as I have a ton of before and after pics. That said, I used the Duplicolor adhesive promoter, and then a Duplicolor vinyl and trim paint. It looks great.

Those of you that have used this paint, did you go back over it with a clear coat of any kind? It looks as if it could scratch off easily. So before I reassemble anything, I am thinking of using a clearcoat to maybe help protect it a little longer. I haven't put any of the trim back on yet as I am waiting on a few trim accessories from LMC that should be in this week. Replacing the door pull straps, lower carpet, and the velour inserts. Also Ordered some fat mat to put on everything.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never saw a need for it but you could if youwanted, just use the same stuff, duplicolor vinyl and fabric. I never used adhesive promoter on their fabic and vinyl either.

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The adhesion promoter is recommended but not required based on the information on the paint can as the paint also has promoter in it. I didn't want to take any chances of it peeling a week after use.

Prep work is the key. I washed it with regular household soap, then a scrub down with a scotch pad and soap, then cleaned with a T.S.P. and water solution and a scrub for any oils or grease, and followed up with another soap wash.

Just didn't wont my hard earned work to scratch off. I am more concerned about the door panels as they will see the most action for wear and tear.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I know how the stuff is and what it says I've used it over and over, did my complete interior in my 85 monte carlo ss, top to bottom side to side everything in there with the duplicolor.

Only prep I did was simple grease and wax remover from the body shop supply first then sprayed, worked fine, never flaked, peeled, orange peel anything.

Ole87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks Swims. I was pleased with the outcome and everything went on smooth. Today on one of my door panels, I took a spot where the velour will cover, and tried to scratch it with my finger and with enough force it does come off a little. I think I may try the clear coat if anything in those areas that will be covered and do anther scratch test.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you know the only areas I had issues with using it was on the hard plastic areas, same places I had issues with the sem stuff too. So for those since I was doing black I used krylon fusion.

Of course on my fabric seats and carpet after some time i wore down some I just touched it up, but hard plastic it kept trying to scratch off easily. I have some chips in my door panels too that I used krylon fusion on now too, on my truck from getting in and out, hauling stuff in the cab and it hitting the door panels and such.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I use plain old Lemon Pledge to take some of the pressure off the final trim coat. Apply several times AFTER THE TRIM PAINT IS TOTALLY SET. It seems to keep anything from catching too easily in the grooves of the pebble finish.

It has the added advantage of giving the finish just a bit of gloss without making it looking overly wet.

Works great on the resilient pieces as well (i.e dash pad, arms rests, steering wheel cross piece, visors, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green K10