Dual Tank selector switch Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
So, I realized the engine was only getting gas from the passenger tank. I tried the dual tank selector switch and it did nothing. I pulled it out from the dash and realized it's not wired. Long story short: I bought a new switch. Meanwhile I looked under the dash and found this connector and wanted to know if that was supposed to connect to the new selector switch but it doesnt look right. Any help?

Wiring from Dash:
You must be registered for see images

New Switch:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What you're seeing is the remains of the old switch still plugged into the connector. Grab that yellow part with one hand and the black plug with the other hand and pull em apart. The blades should pull out with the yellow plastic piece.

If its really stuck in there you could even stick a flat blade screwdriver in between them and pry them apart. But make sure you DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before doing that or you could fry something. I don't remember if the tank switch has power all the time or not.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Selector switch continued

Ok, I did what you said, took the old switch out. When I try to plug the new switch in, it's a really tight fit. Seems to be off.. Also, after looking at some diagrams, the wire colors are different.

The wires coming out of the dash are Tan, Tan/white, Grey, Black

The wires from the selector valve are Pink, Pink/white, Pink/Black, Brown, Grey

The wires from the pigtail off ebay are green, dark green, black, pink

Confusing!

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I would trace the harness in the dash to see if it has been spliced with a similar harness. If my memory is working it should go up to a rubber grommet in the firewall.

TexadaChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
older switch

Looks like you need the switch for 87 with tbi original. The pink and green harness plug went to power/ground and a socket/grommet at the firewall pre 87. Your wiring harness has a wire and grommet that goes right through the firewall I assume and a wire that goes ro ground and a wire that plugs into fuse panel. I have a 85 and 87 with tbi, harnesses are dufferent so is the switching valve. Hope that helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden