Dual 12s anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Wondering if anyone has tried dual 12 subwoofers in a single cab? I just bought a silverado seat 4 inches shorter than the stock one so I can fit bigger boxes. Would love to here how this has worked out for others before I pull the teigger.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I am not sure there is enough air space in the cab of the truck to need all that cone area.
But perhaps there is and I simply don't know.

Myself, I will probably be using a pair of 6.5 inch subs in my truck.
But I might also use a pair of 8's.

Time will tell as I have no time to do anything currently but work.
Once I do get them in, you are welcome to have a listen as you are not all that far away from me....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Powered properly, a good pair of 12” subs would be far more than you could use in a reg cab pickup iMO. You might set a new land speed record for rattling loose even the most rusted up bolt in the truck though!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There was a guy who ran a local stereo shop 15-20 yrs ago. His demo/competition vehicle was about a mid 90's Furd F250. The entire 8ft bed was 30 (yes, thirty) 15" subs. When he did a 'dry run' with the cab gutted for wiring, etc, his cordless drill would vibrate up about 2-3" off the floor of the cab. The whole system was 150+ db. He used a remote at competitions because his doctor told him to be inside the cab at higher volumes could disturb his heart's rhythm. Total cost was something like $35k (20 yrs ago).

About 4-5 yrs after he built it, someone blew a red light and t-boned it....knocked it on its side. Totaled the truck.

No idea what happened to all that equipment - was all Eclipse and Hifonics IIRC. His mind was soup anyways.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I did two 12” Alpine’s in my regular cab K-10, built the box to fit just inside of the latches that allow the seat to tilt, to the top edge of the seat, and matched the recline angle of the factory bench. They wore holes in the back of the vinyl where the frame wires are and wore holes in the surround of the sub. Part of my problem is I’m 6’3” tall so I could only afford to move the seat up 1 click.

Sounded great…

Today there are far more options for shallow mount subs that use little airspace and handle plenty of power. With the right combination you can avoid the problems I had by building a shallower box to give them some room to flex with out hitting the seat.

Had two 12’s parallel at 2 ohm on 400 watts RMS
Pair of 6.5 separates on 100 watts each
Four 6.5” three ways powered by the in dash receiver
Active crossovers
And six disc changer in glovebox

People said they could hear the base from 2 blocks out and the highs clearly from 4 blocks away

ETA: I did all of this over 20 years ago and it’s all still in there. It still sounded pretty good after 10 years of DD. I’ll get a pic of the box next time I’m around the truck

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been involved in high-end sound systems for 30 years. I know a little bit about the subject but when it came to putting in a killer system in my 85 k20 I was determined to do it without cutting any part of the truck. After reconfiguring the system countless times I was confronted with reality. Depending on your definition of quality, it is impossible to create a " killer" sound system in a single cab pickup.

My truck is a dime a dozen, they made millions of them. That said, I had no problem cutting things up to facilitate the system that makes me happy. To each his own.

If done professionally, it can look and sound awesome and be reversed if that day comes

I will say, no combination of subs, shallow or otherwise, produce "quality" bass behind a bench seat. I have several threads on the things I tried, just search them out in this forum.

This is the latest (and final) configuration. Good luck.

Eighty5ov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ov
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
I’m plan on running 2 shallow mount 12’s. 2 6x9’s. 2 6.5 door speaks. And some tweeters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84