dropping gas tanks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've dropped newer Chevy gas tanks etc, but not these older ones, I'm needing to pull out my 88/98 split bench seat out so I can clean up the floor and patch some holes in the kick panels and such. The previous owner drilled holes and bolted the seat in and the tanks hinder me from removing the passenger side bolts, I akready removed the drivers seat but didn't think about it before hand and now can't get all the bolts in and tightened again.
Other than having gas in the tanks, is there anything out of the ordinary I'll need to do to drop the tanks to access the bolts that were used?

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Slow and easy.... I'd the undo the filler neck, unbolt the brackets from the frame, and drop it down slowly with a floor jack. Watch the hoses, sometimes they don't have much slack in 'em.

Other than that, not much to worry about.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can almost stick your head through the rear wheel well and see everything.

1. take the filler neck rubber hoses off.
2. reach up above tank and remove ground wire from top of sender. it just pushes on.
3. it is easier to unbolt the tank strap from the frame. 4 bolts for each strap. DO NOT undo the strap bolt, they are a pain to get back on.
4. if tanks are full, get you a cheap transfer bulb with lines. get them at walmart for 5 bucks.
5. take out the gas. makes it so much easer.
6. get you a 3 ft long 2x4 and a jack. lower tank slowly while having your head in rear wheel well so you can see the fuel lines.
7. if fuel lines are original, they will not have any slack. depending on your emission setup from factory as to how many fuel lines are up there. I had 3.
8. Get you some new fuel hoses, they vary in size from supply and return lines. 3/8 and 7/16 I think. Cut them longer so you have slack for next time and stuff them up out of the way when you raise the tank back up.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had to take mine off my dually and all I did was undo the brackets off the frame and lowered it with a tranny jack was real easy, floor jack works too..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes