drivetrain swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

falke85

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hi all i have a wrecked 1997 suburban with a great motor,transmission and transfer case. im wanting to put it into a 1985 3/4 ton. how hard is this going to be?

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
engine and tranny not to bad but t-case is a no go unless you use a ford axle up front. front output is on the wrong side.

if your 97 is a half ton it will have a vortec 350 with a 4l60

3/4 ton will have a 4l80 tranny with a vortec 350 or maybe a 454

the motor and tranny are pretty much bolt in you can use a 208 or a 241 pass side front output t-case from a 700r4 or turbo 350 with the 4l60. the 4l80 can use a 208 or a 241 from a turbo 400 or 85 and up sm 465 4 speed

now the fuel injection is another hurdle but not hard.
get sending units and fuel tanks for a 87 and you can put the fuel pump for a vortec in the 87 sending unit. then run fuel lines for the vortec injection.

and then you need a wiring harness and computer with custom tune. I had oneluckypops a member here modify my harness out of a 96 Tahoe he does great work I sent him every wire out of my 96 Tahoe and he sent me back a custom built harness for my swap.

the egr runs from the driver side manifold to the intake you will need to find a way to hook that up the 97 manifold will not fit the 85. I am removing the egr from my vortec swap. you can get block off plates on ebay and in your tune have the egr removed.

I am sure there is more I am forgetting but it is a doable swap

or you could get a carbed vortec intake and a tranny controller but they are kinda spendy

I have some details in my crew cab build thread I am putting a vortec 383 in it. there is a link to my thread in my signature at the bottom of my posts

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 86
  • c c.jpg
    c c.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

falke85

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thank you! What kind of money are we talking about to get the wiring harness done?

Nippolean

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Drivetrain vs. Body Swap

Im considering updating my 1986 K1500 GMC Sierra Classic single cab short bed step-side to a newer frame. Preferably from the 1999 and newer GM series of trucks.

I know its a lot of work, however im wondering if any one has done a Body swap or a drive-train swap including the axles.

I currently have a line on an 01 Yukon with a complete running chassis. the body is the only damage as it was rolled. I know that i would have to move the rear axle back about 3-5 inched due to the wheel base differences. Besides the obvisous challenges with electrical, body mounts, and small things, what other challenges might i have or face if i do this? Or is it even worth trying?

Im new to the site so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64