Drive shaft options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Getting clued up in my 2wd to 4wd swap. Got my new trans and tcase in. Now I have to adjust the length of of my driveshaft. Drive shaft originally was a 2 piece with a carrier bearing. Universal on the trans end. Slip yoke in the middle by the carrier bearing and universal on the diff end.

I was gunna shorten the short drive shaft and put a slip yoke on the end for the tcase. But I was unsure how this would work the the carrier bearing and the slip yoke already in the middle. I can't seem to find any info or pictures on an original 4wd driveshaft and how it was put together.

Then I thoight about lengthening the rear driveshaft. But is to long no good either? It's a C&C so it would end up being quiet long but probably the easiest way.

Any input or info greatly appreciated.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine is an original 1980 K25 with 350/TH400/NP205. Year, transmission, and transfer case will change how long the driveshaft will need to be as well as the connections it will have at each end. I believe pre-80 NP205 would have been non-slipjoint at the rear driveshaft, but post 1980 has the slip joint rear with a solid driveshaft. Here’s the driveshaft on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Mine is an original 1980 K25 with 350/TH400/NP205. Year, transmission, and transfer case will change how long the driveshaft will need to be as well as the connections it will have at each end. I believe pre-80 NP205 would have been non-slipjoint at the rear driveshaft, but post 1980 has the slip joint rear with a solid driveshaft. Here’s the driveshaft on mine.

I'm thinking about going with one long solid shaft with a slap on the tcase side. It will be long but it's the easiest bet rn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1