Door switch replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I want to replace the door switches on both my trucks, 83 C20 and 84 K10
I went to remove the door switches today so I can order the correct new ones, not sure if they are one or two wire switches.
I started to remove the switches, and there's a lot of resistance to unthread until after I have turned the switches some, obviously the threads are crudded up, but they thread back in smoothly from that point and resume the tight position.
After having turned the switches out over two full turns, it appears like I have made zero progress, as the switch shows no sign of a gap appearing between the switch nut and the truck body.
I'm a tad paranoid of continuing unthreading them any more at the moment.
Also, the plunger button rotates with the switch and pushing it as I use a wrench doesn't allow the wire(s) to stay put as the switch loosens.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Do not let the plunger button turn while you're unscrewing the door switch. Hold it with pliers or something. You may be twisting up the wire. Use some oil or WD-40 on the threads. Work it in an out if you have to to get the lubricant into it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
There is a bit of a gap between the hex part and the start of the threads I think. You might need to pull out a bit on it while unscrewing also. Maybe grab the plunger with a set of pliers and pull out a bit while unscrewing.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Thanks for the tips, this should be fun, three hands needed and room for two, one to hold back the door weatherstripping, one to hold the plunger with pliers, and one to turn the wrench.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just replaced mine last weekend. After a couple of turns, the plunger (and wires) stayed put and didn’t twist with the other part.
Maybe rotate the plunger back n forth a bunch to loosen it up.
I just slapped a deep well socket on and un screwed them. There is a lot of wire back there, so even if they twist a half dozen rotations it shouldn’t hurt them.
I pre twisted the new ones opposite before installing and after a couple turns the plunger just spun separate.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
My plunger was stuck and would not move. My wires twisted all the way out. Did not hurt anything. Got a new one from Orileys. Putting back in the plunger spun free so the wires did not twist up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly