Do I rebuild my SBC or swap for an LS3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjdock

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My $.03 (due to inflation) is to LS swap, but ignore half the stuff you think you know about LS swaps. You do'nt need a 100k motor or to rebuild it unless it's over 300k and you don't know the history. If you can see it run and there aren't signs of abuse (caked oil, silicone coming out of the water pump gaskets, etc.), you will be fine for many years. In my family we've had at least 6 5.3's along with a 4.8, 2 6.0's, and 2 6.2's. None of them have had major issues except one of the 6.2's with a failed AFM lifter at 200k, all of them have run to 200k+ unless wrecked, and a couple have been over 250k when sold, still running fine. One did consume some coolant, probably a cracked head, after 150k. I put a half gallon in every 6 months or so and continued on.

Yes, you will need a fuel system, but it can be simple or it can be expensive. For what you need, the "best way" would be a full set of TBI tanks, lines, etc., swap to the higher pressure pump, and run a return style regulator on a 5.3/6.0. Cheapest way is an external pump and a Corvette regulator with a short return line and a returnless rail on the engine, maybe new nylon line if your existing line isn't up to the task. Take your pick.
2wd is a known quantity on the mounts etc, and mating it to your existing trans has been done before as well. With the right mounts, you don't need a new trans crossmember or driveshaft, and your speedo cable still runs fine. If you are willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of tuning flexibility, the VSS is not strictly needed, or you can spend a few dollars on a pass through cable VSS or an external VSS.

You don't NEED the Holley style kit, you don't NEED braided fuel line, you don't NEED a rebuild and headers (it'll have 300 hp from a stock 5.3, once upon a time a 300 hp 327 was Corvette territory), a cam is nice, springs are fairly easy, but you should have no reason to pull the heads on it. Unless you have a really good machine shop and a lot of recent experience with parts combinations etc, the LS is the better current platform for stock components. All the SBC guys that really knew what they were doing at the aftermarket sources are retiring, same for machine shops. Unless you KNOW it, you are going to be at the mercy of a 20 year old kid reading parts catalogs just like you are, but he's never had a carburetor on anything but a disposable lawnmower. I'm not judging him, I haven't DD'd a carb vehicle either, it just hasn't been part of life for a few years for most people. I much prefer to trust GM engineering and run relatively stock stuff that was computer designed to be easy to work on and last a quarter million miles and hours of WOT redline testing. Along with that, you get a great water pump design that can be swapped in half an hour, a 160A alternator, good power steering, and if you want it, a much better AC system and electric fans with factory style control. I like old stuff, but for something to use consistently, I'd go modern engine in the classic truck for the best of both worlds.
Dang, I was all set on a crate 350 after reading replies and then I read your post...lol. I'm in the same boat as the the thread starter, my motor is ok but is starting to get tired. I do want to be able to drive this a 1000 miles in one direction on any given day as well....so dependability is my biggest concern. The thing is, does adding fuel injection, computers, o2 sensors and more make then more reliable than a carb and 1 wire HEI ignition? I'm sure mileage and power would be great with an lS though. So, still on the fence for me .

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@cjdock
You know people drove 350 chevys all the time,cross country,to work everywhere when they weren't worn out right? Do think someone who bought a 1999 Escalade with a 5.7 didn't think he could drive it 1000 miles anyday he wanted?A properly built 350 tuned correctly is rock solid reliable.Milage compare a 1999 suburban 5.7 to a 2001 suburban,5.3 pretty similar the milage difference from 1980 something to 2001 comes from engine management.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
AND lasts 50 years.., can't say that for LS anything. What chu gonna do? U gonna find one that ain't run after sitting in a field for 20 years, fire it up AND THEN drive it home?

Where's that dead horse I like beatin on so much?
:pedobear::beatdeadhorse5:

Maybe you're gonna fix it on the side of the road with a flathead and a 9/16....that's the ticket!
:popcorn:

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I vote for a carb LS build. I like the LS engines I've built several for my Camaro. They are simple to work on a 10mm ,13 mm and 15 mm are about all the wrench sizes that you need. The captive gaskets, o rings are nice they don't leak. They make big power for their size. They are very durable , and don't wear the internal parts. I think most swaps run into problems with the wiring and the sensers and the computers. Heck most of these engines are 15 -25 years old. Time has flown by. If you use old sensers and wiring, you are asking for trouble. The LS with a carb will still make good power and drivability would be good. The FI is great when it works and sucks balls when it doesn't. The fuel system upgrade is a big loser for me when going to FI. MSD makes a box and a harness to run the coils and set up the timing if you were to run a carb.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
In all reality I like the idea of the HT 383 from GM if it were Me. Thats what I'm going to do when my crate 350 bites the dust. The prices have gone up on them. JOE did that!!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@cjdock
You know people drove 350 chevys all the time,cross country,to work everywhere when they weren't worn out right? Do think someone who bought a 1999 Escalade with a 5.7 didn't think he could drive it 1000 miles anyday he wanted?A properly built 350 tuned correctly is rock solid reliable.Milage compare a 1999 suburban 5.7 to a 2001 suburban,5.3 pretty similar the milage difference from 1980 something to 2001 comes from engine management.
@cjdock

I've shared this before, but will again for the fun of it. This was in Crusty Biscuit, those of you that don't know about that truck you need to do a search, the others know about old Crusty.

I didn't trust the heads so I took them off and had some that were laying around redone. While that work was being done I swapped the cam and resealed the engine. Installed the redone heads, broke-in the cam, drove it around town for about an hour's worth of time over the course of a few days to check for leaks and any bugs that may pop-up. Changed the oil and filter, loaded up the truck and me and the dogs took off to Texas to get married. Well, I got married, they gained a human that they trained...lol... That trip out and back was the actual road test, and it didn't fail. Took that truck on many 1,000+ mile trips and never missed a beat. The only thing that took it out was some a$$hole pulling out in front of us 15 miles from home after a great week of camping.

If I have an iffy LS I'd replace the LS, if I had an iffy SBC or BBC I would replace with like kind and be done with it. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better or more reliable. More efficient maybe, but not more reliable, and more efficient does not make it better.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The efficiency is in the engine management. 5.7 vortec in factory trim has almost identical hp.torque,and mpg. Look them up on fuelly. It's real reported gas milage from 100s of owners of different vehicles

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
The efficiency is in the engine management. 5.7 vortec in factory trim has almost identical hp.torque,and mpg. Look them up on fuelly. It's real reported gas milage from 100s of owners of different vehicles
I agree. I can tell my 81 with the gen 1 350, vortec heads, quadrajet, and the 327/300hp old school camshaft grind is leaps and bounds stronger and more efficient than it was before I did the swap. I took it on one trip before I swapped the heads and it averaged 8 mpg. I haven't taken it on a trip since then, it needs some tlc before I do, although it would most likely be fine as-is, I'd rather do to it like I did to Crusty to make it more road worthy. The engine is re-sealed, it's everything else that needs a good going through. I can tell driving around town that it takes a lot less throttle to get moving and stay at speed and the power gained was very noticeable the first time I took it in the mountains, on the same road I had driven it before the head and cam swap.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think it would run fine on tbi.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
My Gen 1 350 runs great with the Vortech heads, long tubes , Eddy carb , and a Jegs intake. I spent the $$ and went with a hyd. roller from GM it's the HT 383 cam. I've thought about adding FI, but can't justify the cost.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo which intake manifold are you using?
I installed the GM Performance spreadbore vortec intake. I wish it had the heat crossover, but it does have a port for exhaust heat to be plumbed in. I haven't done that, and the truck only runs a little rough when it's in the low 50's and colder, but once the engine gets to operating temperature it is fine. I think I have a 180 thermostat in it, been thinking about swapping in a 195 for the winter. If I decide to install an auxiliary electric fan, I'll leave the 195 in there and set the fan to kick on at 210 and shut off at 180-185.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d