Do aftermarket speaker mounts make 6x9's clear the cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I did the peel and stick noise/heat stuff and my 6x9s still sound horrible in there. I am going to - one day - may a box to attach to the metal plates to help. The area is so big the speakers are basically free air and don't react well ro mid/bass notes.

The problem I see, or maybe my worry, is that by putting insulation in there you're going to trap moistire and eventually start rust. We know that was common enough in cab corners and my truck only had a spot of surface rust the size of a quarter inder a piece of spongy noise insulation behind the driver's side fender. I don't want to give it any reason to start somewhere else.

Well that probably depends on the type of insulation you use. That butyl rubber with aluminum backing isn't likely to cause rust. If you don't like that stuff, you could always use the sprays, like Spectrum Sludge. So it would act more like a paint. Depending on where all you are able to spray it, it might even prevent the corner from rusting. I'm thinking the cab needs to be gutted when this happens though. But it's good sound insulation. It's for the underside of the car iirc, but it's thick and it's good stuff. And it's made to be a sound deadener.

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Check out Crutchfield for speaker baffles to help direct the sound forward along with your sound deading material.

I bought some to install in the dash 3-1/2" and back 4 X 10" waiting to get Blazer back from Paint and Body to install

Less than $10.00

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Dad had a pair of Pioneer 6x9s in the '75; I think he made some brackets for them but don't remember there being a box/enclosure other than the shape of the cab(they were in the corners). On the '78 he built some boxes for a pair of Audiovox 6x9s, that were coaxial speakers. He replaced the factory AM radio with an Audiovox AM/FM/8 track deck, running through those 6x9s and the stock dash speaker. It sounded pretty good!

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
So I think I have basically the same speaker as you. It does seem to hit before fitting all the way back. How did you mount the bracket to the truck? Thanks
Actually E was going to use a small self tapping screw on the upper tab but since they have never moved in the 7-8 months he decided to not screw them in, and they are still there…

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Does anyone know if any brand of the 6x9 mounts will allow for the original tool tray liner to be used? I checked with tinworks fab and he couldn't say because he's never had one with it to check.

Ryhz

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I didn’t have any issues with mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
Did you cover these with material? I like the look.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Did you cover these with material? I like the look.
Thanks, no I had a buddy powder coat it with a crinkle finish black.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84