DIY paint??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had no experience painting a vehicle either when I did my Nissan truck which was a complete color change. Do a little homework, watch some You-tube videos and you should be fine. I painted my truck in the driveway in the open air with no issues. All through the paint process went easy with no issues. Well at least until the clear coat was applied. 3 gnats gave their lives to annoy me.

I did have a little orange peel but expected to have it and was able to wet sand it out.

I'll have to post pics of the process later if you want.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I had no experience painting a vehicle either when I did my Nissan truck which was a complete color change. Do a little homework, watch some You-tube videos and you should be fine. I painted my truck in the driveway in the open air with no issues. All through the paint process went easy with no issues. Well at least until the clear coat was applied. 3 gnats gave their lives to annoy me.

I did have a little orange peel but expected to have it and was able to wet sand it out.

I'll have to post pics of the process later if you want.
Haha...yeah, those frickin gnats. I had about 6 on the car. Less on the truck because it was a different time of year.
I'd love to see pics of yours.
If I can find any pics of the hatch I did, I'll post them up as well. I'm pretty sure they're on a solid drive at my house. I may even have pics of the little Toyota truck.
And orange peel for sure. I had a spare hood that I could shoot on, which helped a lot for setting up the guns.
I went total cheap ass the whole way through.......harbor freight guns, cheap ss urethane, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
This was my driveway paint truck. Sold it shortly after painting.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
For what it's worth, I've only ever had good things to say about the purple HF spray guns. Iirc, you can pick them up on sale for $10-$15, and it's probably one of the best things I've ever bought there. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly, don't want any assembly grease creating fisheyes in the paint.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
For what it's worth, I've only ever had good things to say about the purple HF spray guns. Iirc, you can pick them up on sale for $10-$15, and it's probably one of the best things I've ever bought there. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly, don't want any assembly grease creating fisheyes in the paint.
I also thought so until I tried a real paint gun. Either my hf gun detiorated slowly without me noticing, or there really is night and day difference when using a better paint gun. But the hf paint gun did do the job ok, so for one time deal it is still good value.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I also thought so until I tried a real paint gun. Either my hf gun detiorated slowly without me noticing, or there really is night and day difference when using a better paint gun. But the hf paint gun did do the job ok, so for one time deal it is still good value.
Interesting. I do have a devilbiss(sp?) gun that I picked up for finish coating, just haven't had a chance to run paint through it yet. (Decided to punt on that project when I was offered the chance to sell it)

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Interesting. I do have a devilbiss(sp?) gun that I picked up for finish coating, just haven't had a chance to run paint through it yet. (Decided to punt on that project when I was offered the chance to sell it)
I tried using devilbiss finishline and it sprayed smoother, and was more predictable than the hf gun. At this point hf gun became for primer only.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I tried using devilbiss finishline and it sprayed smoother, and was more predictable than the hf gun. At this point hf gun became for primer only.
That was pretty much my plan when I picked up the devilbiss too.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
HF Purple gun, Scotchbrite scuff, Rustoleum paint, no effs given, looked great until I sold it.

Last edited:

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
@KilgoreTrout

That's pretty damn cool, man.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you @KilgoreTrout It definitely was a learning experience and certainly not a show quality paint job. But it did come better than I expected. Hopefully it will see the trails soon.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I found a couple on my solid drive.
HF gun, tcp global primer and urethane. It was like a $200 kit? (I think $60 extra for the 2k primer)
I don't seem to have any good primer pics or any totally finished pics where I redid the window trim metal in black.
Varying degrees of progress. I had it for like 3yrs and it looked good. I also had a little red urethane on my driveway for about 5yrs. :D

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I actually had that car for like 15yrs and over 200k miles. I put new carpet in it when I painted it, and obviously had a swapped/upgraded engine and transmission.
Hondas really do run forever. It let me down 3times: one alternator and 2 ignition coils. Otherwise, 36mpg minimum and a pretty damn quick 200hp go-kart. The si didn't even come with power steering. Fun little car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell