DIY paint??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I bought it in 1999 for $3800 with 53k on the clock. Sold it in 2016 with 239k for $2700. Lol... So under 200k. I had Jeeps and trucks and bikes in between.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you or someone you know have a POS car or truck? Even an aluminum boat or old fridge. you can give them a paint job for practice. Doing one really gives you a lot of information on for the next. Do all the prep, prime, and finish. You will learn a lot from this.
My buddy and I painted my Omni when we were about 20. I skipped on some of the prep and it showed to us, but most people didn't see it. Mainly because we painted it at night in an open garage with the lights on. One of those moths the size of an owl crashed spread eagle in the center of the hood on the wet paint. Not much we could do... painted right over it and had our own screaming chicken emblem.
All that said, get some practice and you will be able to a respectable job. Wet sanding can be a big help after. Plus you can always try again.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard from a few people that as far as sprayer guys go, that the maaco type guys are some of the best due to practice/volume. You'll get out what you put into the prep. i'm guessing you just do all the prep, drive there early, rub it down with an oil and wax remover, then mask right before rolling it in to the shop...
You definitely have to mask it yourself in their parking lot if you take it to Maaco or Diamond or one of the cheap places

They will NOT spend more than three minutes on the tape

The maaco in Columbus Ga did a great job on my 70 trans am
But the only thing to mask was the back bumper and door handles and windows

And later I painted a door and fender on a 78 formula firebird

At night
In an open shop
And the breaker for the air compressor kept tripping

Got some mosquitoes in the paint

But the worst part was that right before we sprayed it we wiped the fender and door with paint thinner
And then somehow laid that rag on the roof
So the next day when we came back and moved the rag the paint on the roof was all lifted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii