Digital Torque Wrench - Member Special

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How often do you guys suggest calibration should be done to these torque wrenches? How does an owner go about getting that done?

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
How often do you guys suggest calibration should be done to these torque wrenches? How does an owner go about getting that done?

In regards to calibration - all torque wrenches need to be re-calibrated at some point in time. The only exception to this is the traditional Beam Style Wrenches - since you can see if the pointer is still at zero (and if it is not, you can just bend it back into position). The biggest issue with most torque wrenches (the "click" style) is that if you forget to turn the torque wrench down to its lowest setting after use, the spring will deform -and the wrench loses accuracy. This is the single biggest reason why torque wrenches become out of calibration. Our digital wrench is actually based on the traditional beam technology - so there is no need to turn the wrench down after use - and it holds its calibration very well.

However, it will at some point still need to be re-calibrated. How often is a tricky thing - since it depends on your needs / uses. Obviously, a person who is using their wrench to assemble aircraft engines will want it re-calibrated more often than someone who is using it to tighten lug-nuts on their car every few months. In general, we would recommend having it re-calibrated after 3K uses.

To get the wrench re-calibrated, you would send it to us in Chicago. Cost for the calibration is $30, and this includes the cost of shipping it back to you withing the lower 48 states.

BLMW

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That doesn't sound to horribly bad. I know on many things, even if they are off by up to as much as 10%, you should still use the torque wrench. This will at least ensure all the bolts are tightened alike and all are uniform, so yep, I guess it does matter what you're working on.

How about a drop? Let's say the torque wrench is on a 3ft tall work bench and gets knocked off and falls to a concrete floor. How bad you think that will affect accuracy and should it be recalibrated after a drop? Have you guys done any testing to see at what levels or what type of abuse it might withstand and still maintain accuracy.
I know I've been in the middle of an engine rebuild before with 3 rods left to torque and dropped a click torque off the top of the motor that was on an engine stand. Just to be safe, I had it checked and it appeared to be just fine, but I lost 2 days using that wrench, and had to borrow a buddies. I then went back loosened and retorqued the other 5 rods with his wrench so I knew they were all uniform.

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
That doesn't sound to horribly bad. I know on many things, even if they are off by up to as much as 10%, you should still use the torque wrench. This will at least ensure all the bolts are tightened alike and all are uniform, so yep, I guess it does matter what you're working on.

How about a drop? Let's say the torque wrench is on a 3ft tall work bench and gets knocked off and falls to a concrete floor. How bad you think that will affect accuracy and should it be recalibrated after a drop? Have you guys done any testing to see at what levels or what type of abuse it might withstand and still maintain accuracy.
I know I've been in the middle of an engine rebuild before with 3 rods left to torque and dropped a click torque off the top of the motor that was on an engine stand. Just to be safe, I had it checked and it appeared to be just fine, but I lost 2 days using that wrench, and had to borrow a buddies. I then went back loosened and retorqued the other 5 rods with his wrench so I knew they were all uniform.

These are good, but tricky, questions. In regards to dropping a torque wrench, it again depends on what you are torquing and what type of accuracy you need. It is recommended by every torque wrench manufacturer (and often required by many shops/ assembly lines) that you have a torque wrench checked after dropping it to make sure it did not go out of calibration. That being said, in our case if the wrench is seriously out of calibration you will see it on the LCD since it will either flash an OL or numbers will appear on the screen even though no torque is applied.

We have done some drop tests on our units and in general they hold up very well. However, we do not have any specific data in terms of accuracy after the drop tests.

BLMW

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Dose this thing do the angle torque like the 500$ Snap-on?? Still sounds like a deal.

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
Dose this thing do the angle torque like the 500$ Snap-on?? Still sounds like a deal.

No. It is something we are working on, and it should be available next year.

BLMW

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
Don't miss out on a great wrench at a great price!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Don't miss out on a great wrench at a great price!

Ever try selling these overseas? May have better luck...thats where all the jobs are.

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
Don't miss out on a great torque wrench!

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought it. I will let you guys know how it works for me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice Rich. It will be good to hear an opinion from a true hands on user on a real job in a real world environment.

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Unbelievable, I never would have imagined such a cool tool. A digital torque wrench; for preciseness. Very Cool!!

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
Just a reminder in case you need a torque wrench!

blmw

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
First Name
jimmy
Truck Year
na
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
na
Bump for a great torque wrench!!

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got mine and it looks and feels really nice. It seems really easy to use. Unfortunately, it is my 18th anniversary this weekend, so I do not think I will get a pass for the garage till next weekend. I will let you guys know how it performs as soon as I get the chance to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64