Diesel muffler??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
So I am in the process of searching for exhaust components for a duramax motor I purchased and have a question.

does anyone make a true muffler for a 4inch exhaust? I can find tons of glass pack type things but not much info on mufflers.

I am not wanting to blow black smoke or have some loud whistling damn thing just want a nice “quite” for a diesel ride, no drone in the cab.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I am in the process of searching for exhaust components for a duramax motor I purchased and have a question.

does anyone make a true muffler for a 4inch exhaust? I can find tons of glass pack type things but not much info on mufflers.

I am not wanting to blow black smoke or have some loud whistling damn thing just want a nice “quite” for a diesel ride, no drone in the cab.
What did the Duramax have factory?

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Factory exhaust on the duramax is 3 inch. OEM replacement mufflers are available at any parts house.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
I’m pretty sure the stock exhaust for an lbz is 3.5 inch, the Down pipe is three inch though I think. From what I have read on the great inter webs people say a four inch is good for most power mods that a guy would do unless you are going to go to huge power outputs.
If it was three inch I would be sitting pretty cause I already bought a stainless exhaust kit that size. I also am having a hard time finding a universal four inch stainless exhaust kit, does anyone have a good idea on where to look?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Donaldson for mufflers.
But fwiw, if you’re not after stock sounding quiet, but want considerable noise reduction and eliminate drone, a flo pro twister or fte resonator is great.

5” turbo back straight pipe on our 2016 Cummins. Was very loud and the drone was bad, even on flat roads and not towing.
30” FTE resonator in line killed ALL the drone, even when towing up hill and killed at least half the volume. It still has a deep tone, but it won’t echo off an underpass or tunnel wall anymore.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The resonators do make a huge difference. Not a diesel, but I had a 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 that was highly modified for a while. It was 471hp at the wheels and my daily driver. I had a complete custom exhaust that was modified over time to get what I wanted.

I wanted super quiet on the street and straight pipe on the track. What I ended up with, was a high flow 3" catalytic converter, flowmaster muffler, and two resonators in line to the back. The last resonator I installed was a 3.5" x 36" and it completely killed all resonation in the cabin and made it completely silent at freeway speed. When you romped on it, there was a nice deep sound outside but still quieter than stock. I then had an electronic controlled exhaust dump from the turbo downpipe straight out behind the front tire. So it was super quiet around town and an animal on the track.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
So it looks like Donaldson mufflers are a good option. Does anyone have a lead on a good 4 inch universal stainless kit? Or do I need to piece it together?

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
What do you need a muffler for it already has the best muffler on it, TURBO:)

I have several diesels with that setup!

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising