Defrost not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LACROMER

Reaction score
First Name
Lacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Okay so i recently did alot of work to my heating and air trying to fix my no defrost problem. I have heat and air but it mostly just comes out of the floor vents. (Light air through the other vents) but i have no air coming through defrost. Im aware about those white clips that break and all my vacuum lines look good. I noticed if i manually close the two vent doors pictures below that i have good defrost. So what could be causing those two doors not to operate. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,969
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,372
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,439

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The defrost is controlled by the door and vacuum actuator at the floor vent location in the last picture. If you reach your fingers in there and push the door all the way up you should see good flow at the defrost vents.

LACROMER

Reaction score
First Name
Lacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The defrost is controlled by the door and vacuum actuator at the floor vent location in the last picture. If you reach your fingers in there and push the door all the way up you should see good flow at the defrost vents.

I do feel good flow when I pull it down manually but what do I need to correct to get it to actuate automatically when I switch it to defrost

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
As used in the 1983 C60 HVAC system, the defrost/bi-level damper motor is dual actuated. Both sides of the diaphragm have vacuum hoses connected to them.

If the mode select is in DEFROST, vacuum is applied to the outer chamber of the diaphragm (via the red hose) and the other side is vented to atmosphere. In this configuration, the damper will move down and direct most of the available air (80%) to the defrost vents in the dash.

If the mode select switch is in any position other than DEFROST, vacuum is applied to the inner side of the diaphragm by the blue hose. The hose to the outside chamber is vented. This moves the damper upward - which directs the majority of the air flow (80%) down to the floor vents.

You can test the function of the actuator with a length of hose (windshield washer hose, emissions vacuum hose, etc - whatever fits snugly on the actuator nipple).

The system doesn't have to be on. Disconnect the factory actuating hose from the diaphragm nipple and push your test hose onto it. Then just suck on the hose like a $2 *****.

If your hose is long enough, you can lay on your side and look up into the plenum and observe whether the diaphragm/linkage/damper reacts as designed. With vacuum applied to the outer chamber, the damper should move down and block off the flow to the floor vent.

If it does react like that... then the operating motor is okay and it would be safe to assume that there is a problem elsewhere. It could be with the mode select switch, the tubing connections at either the mode select switch or motor, the interconnecting tubing or possibly there is a lack of total system vacuum from the engine's intake manifold. Do all the other mode select settings seem to direct air flow to the various vents - as designed?

Here is the function matrix, vacuum schematic and the control panel (showing a description of each mode):

You must be registered for see images attach

LACROMER

Reaction score
First Name
Lacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
As used in the 1983 C60 HVAC system, the defrost/bi-level damper motor is dual actuated. Both sides of the diaphragm have vacuum hoses connected to them.

If the mode select is in DEFROST, vacuum is applied to the outer chamber of the diaphragm (via the red hose) and the other side is vented to atmosphere. In this configuration, the damper will move down and direct most of the available air (80%) to the defrost vents in the dash.

If the mode select switch is in any position other than DEFROST, vacuum is applied to the inner side of the diaphragm by the blue hose. The hose to the outside chamber is vented. This moves the damper upward - which directs the majority of the air flow (80%) down to the floor vents.

You can test the function of the actuator with a length of hose (windshield washer hose, emissions vacuum hose, etc - whatever fits snugly on the actuator nipple).

The system doesn't have to be on. Disconnect the factory actuating hose from the diaphragm nipple and push your test hose onto it. Then just suck on the hose like a $2 *****.

If your hose is long enough, you can lay on your side and look up into the plenum and observe whether the diaphragm/linkage/damper reacts as designed. With vacuum applied to the outer chamber, the damper should move down and block off the flow to the floor vent.

If it does react like that... then the operating motor is okay and it would be safe to assume that there is a problem elsewhere. It could be with the mode select switch, the tubing connections at either the mode select switch or motor, the interconnecting tubing or possibly there is a lack of total system vacuum from the engine's intake manifold. Do all the other mode select settings seem to direct air flow to the various vents - as designed?

Here is the function matrix, vacuum schematic and the control panel (showing a description of each mode):

Thank you for the pictures and the help. I Hooked up a test hose and sucked and the damper did move so im in the process of checking all of the lines to make sure they go where they supposed to. Thanks again. Ill let yall know what i find out.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Okay so i recently did alot of work to my heating and air trying to fix my no defrost problem. I have heat and air but it mostly just comes out of the floor vents. (Light air through the other vents) but i have no air coming through defrost. Im aware about those white clips that break and all my vacuum lines look good. I noticed if i manually close the two vent doors pictures below that i have good defrost. So what could be causing those two doors not to operate. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have a part number for the plastic piece that has been replaced on the door in the first pic by metal?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Surprised Classic Industries don't have the heater diverter valve link connector. They were my hook up with camaro parts.....they let me down. As big as their catalog is you'd think..

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
got one from Classic Parts of America part# 68-248. It didn't come with the pin so I used an 1/8" rivet as is and bent it so it wouldn't pop out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk