Dash was cut for DIN radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
when the retro two post units become worth the money, units cheaper or they get better, I’ll pull the floor mounted POS out of mine. But I refused to cut my dash or buy another Chinese plastic nasty sounding turd.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
You may consider cutting the sides only and bending the metal back in case someone who buys the truck in the future wants to reinstall a factory type radio. You might even decide to go back to original especially if you decide to sell someday. Also, the are usually dash bezels already cut for cheap on forums. You could buy one of those and sell your unmolested bezel for decent money. Just a thought.

sdewolfe

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Build it for you. Let the next owner bemoan the cut up dash. If he wants it original it will be his to do. Since your dash is wide open, why not move the AC duct to the original radio position and your new radio to where the duct was? That solves the visibility problem.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
ask someone with a parts truck or wrecked cab to cut those pieces you need to fix your dash up.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size

Walter47

Reaction score
First Name
Walter47
Truck Year
Truck Model
Mac Mini
Engine Size
Run on Plutonium
@mike B are you happy with your alpine? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking for a new stereo and I'm leaning towards alpine.

The thing is I've read good and bad. Most review sites cover the good and downgrade the bad. I've read some buyer feedbacks as well and that put me on the fence. Do they ship real melons?

After searching the net I've found a better review. A bit harsh finally one that seems to tell it how it is. What do you think about this Alpine 207 stereo? How bad are the drawbacks?

How hard is life with just one USB? What about the screen resolution is it a pixel war?

Tips?

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I just installed the Retrosound Hermosa. It’s the model with aux/usb inputs plus Bluetooth. Comes with a Bluetooth mic. Couldn’t be happier with it, and I highly recommend it.

For one, you don’t need to hack your dash or your dash bezel. Not that I’m a purist when it comes to that stuff...but it’s less work.

Secondly, it looks great. Again, not a huge sticker for maintaining period correct style, but I’m surprised by how much I enjoy the Retrosound’s aesthetics. Especially compared to a conventional stereo.

Thirdly, it sounds great. 25w per channel RMS really lets you crank, especially if you add a powered sub. I got a $100 under-seat powered sub off Amazon Prime. Also surprised by how much it rounded out the sound profile.

I should mention that Retrosound install was tedious...the knobs and head unit are adjustable in 3 dimensions. I had to file out the opening in my dash bezel a little. You can’t tell if everything fits unless you mount the stereo and the dash bezel. So I had to mount and unmount both of those things about 8 times, each time making small adjustments, before I got it perfect. I also fabricated a bracket to hold up the back of the stereo out of some spare aluminum I had. I expect you have to do that for any stereo you put in.

Overall, my view on Retrosound is that it’s admittedly an expensive and unnecessary investment, but it’s a luxury that I’m appreciating more than I thought I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg