Dana 44 dust shield on backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Dana/Spicer is the same outfit. I have seen some of the components from Dana and AAM Corporate have the "Briggs & Stratton" logo cast on them as well. The internals are different on the axles though. The carrier, R&P, spiders and axle shafts are all different. The knuckles are different too BUT you can interchange everything from the knuckle outward when using ALL the parts. I learned this some 25 years ago when doing a disc conversion on an open knuckle Dana 44; using all the Morain brakes and Corporate components from an '85 K10 Diesel.
The Dana stuff seems to be "beefier" than the 10 bolt corporate. I'd much rather have a Corporate 14FF as opposed to a rear Dana 70 though; the axle shafts in the 14FF are larger as compared to the 70 although the axle tubes and carrier housing are super-huge on the 70. But, we were talking front diffs...

HS

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
You bring up a good question about the shafts and u-joints though. I believe GM has always purchased u-joints from an outside supplier. I would ASSUME that GM also farmed out the front axle shafts on the 4x4 version of the axle assembly, but manufactured their own shafts for the rear axle assemblies.

The Dana stuff seems to be "beefier" than the 10 bolt corporate. I'd much rather have a Corporate

From what I read and have experienced with my 1984 Chevy K10, IMHO I believe there is no difference from the inner shaft out on a GM 10 bolt to a Dana 44 if the history is correct that Dana & Spicer have been the same since 1946 or maybe before.

I still would like to hear y'alls thoughts if I can use the solid caliper dust shields on my truck? Please Help!

Be well and stay safe out there.
Best Wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

R.
Dryriver1

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
The solid backer should work. The caliper piston is all that's different between K10-20 if memory serves me correctly. I do believe the spline is different on the Dana/Corporate spiders too.

HS

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
The solid backer should work. The caliper piston is all that's different between K10-20 if memory serves me correctly. I do believe the spline is different on the Dana/Corporate spiders too.

HS

@Strick I really appreciate your input on this.
My Corporate inner shafts do have the 28 spline Spicer embossed on the spider side.

I would like to ask you if I would need to change the complete calipers in order to be able to use the solid backer on the Corporate 10 bolt? You mention only the piston. I got a little confused...
The caliper piston is all that's different between K10-20 if memory serves me correctly.

Please advise.
Thank you in advance.

Best wishes to you and all of your loved ones always!

R.
Dryriver1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus