Dad has cancer-help me fix his AC please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys. Dad went in 2 weeks ago in extreme pain and ended up spending 7 days in the hospital, he had his appendix removed and some large and small intestine. They said your appendix is supposed to be size of your little finger, his weighed 5 pounds and was size of a mans head. Doc also found cancer in there too so dad will be getting scanned to see what and where it all is.

Im driving dads black 86 right now while red beauty queen sits in the garage and i thought it would be nice to fix his ac for him. He swapped from carb to TBI and a serpentine system, so his AC compressor is on the passenger side now and he cant figure out what hoses to buy.

Can anyone give me a make and model that i could buy hoses for that would fit, and also what else would i need, assuming the compressor is good, a new dryer, that little filter that goes in the line, some oil and freon? My uncle will pull a vacuum and charge it for me. Thanls if anyone can help. I will post pics in next post

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
1988-91 square will be a direct fit.

1988+ GMT400 I am told fits as well.

I'd replace all the o-rings, the dryer,

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It's not ideal but if you still have the originals you can make them work. I bent mine around and it has been working fine for a few months now.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
First let me say sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I am sure he would appreciate it very much so to get it back with working A/C again.

I would recommend changing the receiver dryer, orphus tube, flush the evaporator out with A/C flush. You could try flushing the condenser as well but I noticed in the picture the fittings are not capped or sealed from contaminants. IMHO I would replace the condenser also.

Make sure you do all your flushing BEFORE you install the new hoses. Then replace all your Orings and lubricate them with pag oil before re connecting and hoses. With the pancake style compressor you will be ok charging with 134a but it would be best if your uncle could charge it with R12 or atleast the substitute Freeze 12.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I wish your Dad a speedy recovery. When I hear things like this, I wonder if I should go see the doc more. Do like everyone is saying and replace the O rings or you will chase your tail looking for leaks a few months from now.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
How is your Dad doing and did you ever get the A/C fixed for him?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys, dad passed away may 5th of this year from the cancer. Plus the chemo. I gave my brother zach the truck, who was very proud to have it and is taking great care of it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Sorry to hear about your dad passing. At least he is no longer in pain. Prayers sent for you and your family.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you shane

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sorry to hear. I will keep your family in my prayers...God bless

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
my condolences prayers sent. May you and your family be blessed.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know it's been over a year but thanks for the kind words. I miss my dad everyday. We would call each other before we did anything mechanical and just kind of ******** and mull it over. I've had to learn so much the last year on my own, and I've become a great mechanic I think, but I still wish I could call and talk sometimes.

The last few weeks my brother has been coming by and we've been working on the AC. I replaced the dryer, the orifice tube, the condensor, and the low pressure switch. I left the old compressor on it. Also bought the new lines that y'all recommended and they work perfect.

The first weekend, the bolt I used to hold the lines to the compressor was too short and it let it blow out. Second weekend I got a better bolt, pulled vacuum, charged it up but I made the mistake of turning the compressor on while I put all three cans in. I should've let the first can go in without the clutch on so the compressor ate itself.

Today I flushed the system, installed a brand new compressor with the oil, then vacuum, it held, so I let one can of refrigerant in with just the engine running and compressor off. Then the other two cans, and gauges looked good, and it cools great. Had to go under the dash and seal all the ducts to get the air blowing at him. He is stoked and I know dad would be proud of what we did with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 137

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10