Cut Dash Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So a few months ago I found a post and responded to a member in it. However, I cannot find the post now. I thought I watched it, but I guess not. Basically, I want to run the factory radio in my 84. The dash has been cut, but I have an unmolested dash n my parts truck I can cut. I don’t want to cut it if I don’t have to. Someone in the post said there was a company that makes a kit or an insert to mount the factory radio without using the metal from the dash. I found a different post saying Crutchfield sells something like this, but I can only find the Metra 87-99-3052 Dash Kit on the Crutchfield site and it doesn’t look like it will work. Can anyone point me to this kit or tell me if I just dreamt the whole thing and I need to cut the dash?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I just used the uncut dash as a template, and made a filler piece out of a piece of sheet metal from HD. I screwed it to the dash with short screws, making sure the holes for the shafts were properly located. The size of the hole for the center of the radio is less critical as long as its big enough so it fits through.

I also made a rear support out of fairly stiff 1” or 3/4” wide metal strapping material. The strap has two holes that bolt to the bottom lip of the dash for support (stock location) and for the part going up I twisted the strapping so the holes lined up with the bolt on the back of the radio. Mine is a Retrosound radio (very light), so the rear support didn’t have to be very strong.

Bruce

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is this the one? Found it on your profile

That’s the one. Thank you! I could not find it using my phone to search. I guess the one I found from Crutchfield is the right day me after all. Thanks again.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I also made a rear support out of fairly stiff 1” or 3/4” wide metal strapping material. The strap has two holes that bolt to the bottom lip of the dash for support (stock location)
Bruce

I still have the rear support on the stock radio from the parts truck. I guess that should work with the Metra kit. I think I’ll make a template too for later down the road. I’m in a bind now and have to get my truck together quickly and get the parts truck gone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell