Critical of those giant consoles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I've decided to build a large console for my K10... More from necessity than preference.

Here's what I was going to copy:

You must be registered for see images attach

I think it can be done, but it might require more money, ingenuity, and effort that most people want to put into it. So instead they just build the bulky consoles. You could come from underneath the dash, and have that be the mounting point. If you wanted to get real fancy with it, you could even have it be detachable. Or otherwise easily removable from underneath. In case you wanted to take it out for whatever reason. It would also make things a lot easier to work on, in the event that you needed to remove it. Just unplug a few things (cause you made some nice easy plugs) and unscrew the arm.

You'd have a strong, small, thin arm that sort of held everything there. You could even make some trim or a bezel to encase the whole thing. To make it blend in a bit better. So in the picture you posted, all of that sidewall space would be gone. There would be real estate freed up underneath. You might have seen what I'm referring to in some newer cars. Where there's actually a small amount of empty space underneath, or even behind the console near the dash. Just a hole, nothing there. My idea would seek to mimic that. So that the apparatus comes out easy, and takes up the smallest room it can while it's in there.

In these trucks, the cup holders could be separate. They sell (and I've seen people build) cup holders that are very small, removable, and rest up against the front of the bench seat. You almost wouldn't notice them unless you were looking for them. So the whole idea here is to remove as much material as possible. While still having everything there that you want.

One must be careful when criticizing the modifications that other folks do to their vehicles. For example you might not like large consoles but the guy with the large console might not like lowered trucks or aftermarket oversized wheels that are not period correct.

I still think there's something to be said for good taste. Imho your post may be too forgiving. We've all seen the craziness people do to vehicles sometimes. Not straying too far from factory is a good way for nearly everyone appreciate your truck, granted these consoles aren't too awful bad. If you think that doesn't matter, well I'd say that most people do want others to see their builds and enjoy them. Although some may only use their old square as transportation, so it may not apply there.

Avatar is not my truck, I just liked the shiny paint job :D

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I think it all depends on how it's executed. The huge bulky ones I don't like, the small ones that go in front of the seat aren't terrible, but also aren't done well most of the time and look like an afterthought (even though that's exactly what they are).

I eventually plan to run buckets and build a console for my truck. I want it to be somewhat similar in idea as an '03-07 NBS truck, the front portion being lower with storage/cup holders and the rear kicking up for an armrest and have a storage bin down in it. I plan to build something similar to the one below, but have it come up to meet the dash, probably keep it only a few inches above the floor and meet the bottom of the dash, that way it's not super intrusive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg