Cost to do a manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I've already got a running driving k10 with a SM465 and a NP208. How much would it really cost me to swap those into a '86 K5 that came with an automatic? Aside from having to modify the tunnel and maybe some cross-member work, what would I have to buy?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
depending on if the rear driveshafts are the same length. you shouldn't need to buy anything except for mabey a case of beer, and a quart of brake fluid if the k10 is hydraulic*you didn't specify*.
Its all time. Its a direct swap. Unless its a Z-bar setup. people tell me the mount on the frame is slightly different, if so, torch the rivets and bolt on the right one.

*you might want to install a new clutch and pilot bearing*

The crossmember should be the same, currently doing the swap myself, but mine has a twist*ls* *hydraulic setup*

You might be able to swap tunnel covers, cant recall the switchover year to solid floors.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
depending on if the rear driveshafts are the same length. you shouldn't need to buy anything except for mabey a case of beer, and a quart of brake fluid if the k10 is hydraulic*you didn't specify*.
Its all time. Its a direct swap. Unless its a Z-bar setup. people tell me the mount on the frame is slightly different, if so, torch the rivets and bolt on the right one.

*you might want to install a new clutch and pilot bearing*

The crossmember should be the same, currently doing the swap myself, but mine has a twist*ls* *hydraulic setup*

You might be able to swap tunnel covers, cant recall the switchover year to solid floors.

k10 is not a hydraulic clutch unfortunately. So I may have to do a little cutting and drilling, no biggy. Clutch would probably get swapped out and trans will get rebuilt while I have it out (no idea how many miles on it). I didn't think about the driveshaft, I'll do some measuring and see if what I've got will work.

DixieScottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Zan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Swapping into a c10

I've already got a running driving k10 with a SM465 and a NP208. How much would it really cost me to swap those into a '86 K5 that came with an automatic? Aside from having to modify the tunnel and maybe some cross-member work, what would I have to buy?

I have a 1986 C10 with a turbo 350 on its last legs, what kind of effort+$$$ would it take to swap in an SM465?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I have a 1986 C10 with a turbo 350 on its last legs, what kind of effort+$$$ would it take to swap in an SM465?

There's a bunch of posts about it here and on other forums. As best I can tell the hardest part is finding all the parts you need to swap out. I have a donor truck so that's a non-issue for me. Doesn't look to be all that difficult, just a pain in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly