Correct Tail Gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Is there an RPO code for those tailgate bezels?

No. I believe it’s part of the Cheyenne super equipment package, which is RPO code YE9.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Mine is a 75 C10 Cheyenne Package and this is it's original tailgate
You must be registered for see images attach

I like this website very much sometimes...i've never seen that specific tailgate before and REALLY dont like it, it looks weak, but I appreciate it's perceived uniqueness. Thanks for sharing.

P.s. dude. O.p. dude - that tailgate looks pretty rough to me..My thought was THAT is the correct choice - I own a much nicer one but it would take a lot more than sixty bucks to get it out of - my kitchen! :confused:

I may put it on my 77.
:33:

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
I will probably just run it without the inserts shown thanks to the other members. One less thing to buy and my bed isn't correct anyway. The has plenty of other needs to spend that money on. All the projects are sitting until I get my shop built. I wasn't even planning to buy this one but price was right.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The tailgate design and inserts for my ‘75 GMC is like the one in post 17, and my RPO code shows the Siverado trim package (the fanciest trim). If I remove the insert, the embossed GMC logo is also centered on the tailgate metal. I’ve never seen an early 70s truck with the larger insert.

Bruce

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I like this website very much sometimes...i've never seen that specific tailgate before and REALLY dont like it, it looks weak, but I appreciate it's perceived uniqueness. Thanks for sharing.

P.s. dude. O.p. dude - that tailgate looks pretty rough to me..My thought was THAT is the correct choice - I own a much nicer one but it would take a lot more than sixty bucks to get it out of - my kitchen! :confused:

I may put it on my 77.
:33:

I respect your right to be wrong.

:happy175:

Seriously, though- I like it, and have seen that style before.

Our 75 GMC ( The Brown) just had the metal tailgate, though.

Sierra Grande, IIRC.

Reactions: WFO

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454
The tailgate design and inserts for my ‘75 GMC is like the one in post 17, and my RPO code shows the Siverado trim package (the fanciest trim). If I remove the insert, the embossed GMC logo is also centered on the tailgate metal. I’ve never seen an early 70s truck with the larger insert.

Bruce

The Cheyenne super was the fanciest, top of the line package for ‘73 and ‘74. While GM kept the Cheyenne package, Cheyenne super was eliminated in ‘75 and GM introduced Silverado first the first time, which replaced it as top of the line.

That’s why a ‘73 and ‘74 top of the line trim, including the tailgate insert, are different.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454

Bruce

The Cheyenne super was the fanciest, top of the line package for ‘73 and ‘74. While GM kept the Cheyenne package, Cheyenne super was eliminated in ‘75 and GM introduced Silverado first the first time, which replaced it as top of the line.

That’s why a ‘73 and ‘74 top of the line trim, including the tailgate insert, are different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115