Considering a M1008 Cucv.... Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The CUCV with a diesel was a massive improvement over the Dodge M880 trucks with 318’s that it replaced. The Dodge was so gutless that with a shelter on the back (and maybe towing a generator trailer) it sometimes did not have enough power to pull itself out if a wheel dropped into a depression in a field.

Based on RPM, it sounded like GM used 4.56 gears in the pickups, and maybe 3.73 in the Blazers. It had no sound insulation, but even my stock K25 only has insulation under the carpet and on the firewall.

The 24 volt system was there to power mil-spec radios and other accessories, so I think it could be completely removed and the engine still operates fine on 12 volts. The base diesel had a lot of grunt and was not bad to drive. I believe you can upgrade to the newer 6.5 diesel, and/or add a turbo for more power.

Tactical Military vehicles are mostly driven off road, so rust may not be that prevalent. YMMV.

Bruce

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The CUCV with a diesel was a massive improvement over the Dodge M880 trucks with 318’s that it replaced. The Dodge was so gutless that with a shelter on the back (and maybe towing a generator trailer) it sometimes did not have enough power to pull itself out if a wheel dropped into a depression in a field.

Based on RPM, it sounded like GM used 4.56 gears in the pickups, and maybe 3.73 in the Blazers. It had no sound insulation, but even my stock K25 only has insulation under the carpet and on the firewall.

The 24 volt system was there to power mil-spec radios and other accessories, so I think it could be completely removed and the engine still operates fine on 12 volts. The base diesel had a lot of grunt and was not bad to drive. I believe you can upgrade to the newer 6.5 diesel, and/or add a turbo for more power.

Tactical Military vehicles are mostly driven off road, so rust may not be that prevalent. YMMV.

Bruce
The fuel shut off solenoid on the military vehicles is 24 volt so that would need to also be changed out. Along with the starter.

hogtruck

Reaction score
First Name
BJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
If I may be so bold; 1.cucv blazer has 3.08 gears. 2. The electrical system is 12 volt, with a 24 volt starting system. 3 the fuel shut off solenoid is 12 volt.

Mike Gresham

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Guys, I invite y'all to read my Steel Soldiers thread in its entirety. Kinda long (10 years in the making) but you can follow along with me in my learning process of CUCVs and my M1028 specifically. To address a few of the posts in this Square Body thread, the 24 volt system is easy to understand. The front battery provides 12 volts to the entire truck with the exception of the starter and slave receptacle in the front grille, both of which are 24 volts suppied from the rear battery. Both alternators are identical, Delco 27Si isolated ground, however the passenger side is the only side which requires isolated ground. The government designed it this way to circumvent having to stock 2 different types of alternators with a possibility of getting them switched by some uneducated recruit in the motor pool. The drivers side alternator charges the front battery and the passenger side alternator charges the rear battery.
The 6.2 J-code engine was and still is a good reliable powerplant. The engine in my truck is strong and economical to operate, however over the past few years I have been assembling a new P400 6.5 engine, 700R4 transmission, and NP241 transfer case to install sometime in the future. All details of this process are included in my rebuild thread. The 6.2 diesel engine was designed by General Motors in the early 1980's when fuel costs were sky high. The engine was not designed to be turbo-charged, ever. As a result of this design thinking, the bottom end strength was inadequate for non-turbo operation. Most guys on the various threads think simply adding a turbo to a 6.2 is a golden bullet, however the increase in power and subsequent stresses a turbo creates usually starts a process of a slow death to the engine. The bottom end just wasn't designed for the extra power. The GM 6.5 turbo diesel is a perfect fit for an engine exchange, and I tell guys to go that route if they want more power instead of trying to make the 6.2 do things it wasn't designed to do.
The military CUCVs had no luxuries at all. No power windows, no power locks, no carpet, no gauges, not even a radio. But the running gear is among the strongest ever produced in a single rear wheel pickup. My M1028 has a GVW of 9400 pounds, 14-bolt rear end with Detroit Locker and Dana 60 in the front with a TracLok. It really doesn't get any better in my opinion. You will see in my SS thread that I am adding or have already added many improvements, including air conditioning. I elected not to add a turbo on the new engine but have secret plans to boost intake pressure from an independent fan/pump without pulling horsepower from the engine to do so. My plans for this design are secret because they may have market value in the future if it works as envisioned.
I hope you enjoy the SS thread. I am busy dealing with all the storms of life but will try to answer any questions as time permits.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1