Compressor overload keeps tripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
That motor probably has a run capacitor or a start/run capacitor. I have had similar issues with my gutter machines. They would start fine and just stop or run at a reduced power (slower) and eventually wouldn't work at all.

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is there a bearing that is seized somewhere perhaps ?

Well you know it's a motor problem if it tripped with the belt off. Is the motor hard to turn with the belt off. Should spin freely.
The motor turns pretty easily by hand. And smoothly too. I doubt it's a bad beating because there's no bearing squeal and generally the motor is quiet

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
I would try replacing the cap. You will have to find a local electrical supply the sales to the public. Take it with you and they can help identify it. They are not that expensive. Take picks of the wires before you take it apart.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Most of the time the capacitor is only for starting the motor, it helps with the inrush current. There are exceptions but on a simple air compressor the capacitor is probably not a factor with the compressor tripping after the motor is already running. Of course if the motor is not getting up to speed because of a bad capacitor...but that doesn't sound like the issue.

Even a good electrician may not be familiar with testing capacitors. A lot of multi-meters don't even have a setting for Farad testing. A new capacitor is a cheap and easy replacement, but may be wasted money.

If the overload is tripping with the belt removed it sounds like a bad motor to me.

Reactions: CRM

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All replies seem to be pointing to a bad motor. I'll have to contact the repair shop and see what my options are

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All replies seem to be pointing to a bad motor. I'll have to contact the repair shop and see what my options are
Fixed: Repair shop replaced a faulty overload switch. Technically a DIY job but I would not have been able to identify it except by just throwing parts at it. Plus it would have required disassembling the motor and I didn't trust my ability to get it back together

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes