Complete AC upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
Last summer the shop did a new ac job on the Suburban. Compressor, condensor, accumulator pretty much the works. It worked, kind of, and only on the drivers side vents yet it froze the kids to death in the back with the nice rear ac. No air was getting to passenger vents up front and most blows out on the floor. The R4 compressor crapped out shorlty after the major heat left.( luckily) now I am wanting to turn to LMC truck and install the mostly complete AC kit. The kit does not include the compressor. What would
i need to do to upgrade to a true Sanden compressor? It has a top mount r4 right now, right above power steering pump. I am lost when it comes to mounting brackets, accessory locations and such. Any help would be great! Please and thank you!

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You need to restore all the underdash ducting-they dont seal up for crap. And if you only have AC on the floor then you have a vacuum issue to figure out. I dont know why everyone has problems with factory AC systems-I restored them in everything from Chevelles/Camaros to these trucks and even factory 80s Jaguars retro-fitted with small blocks.

There is never imo a reason to ditch anything factory for aftermarket unless its a streetrod or something that doesnt need a high capacity AC system.

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
@gmachinz thanks for the tip. I will check it out and try to seal it up before spending the money. Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Vacuum or actuator issue and need sanden compressor upgrade. If serpentine belt, it is a cheap upgrade using existing lines

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used a Vintage Air Sanden compressor and brackets to replace my A6 compressor, and it fits and works well. I also had custom hoses made with the right fittings, but I think there are some direct retfit options available that allow you to adapt stock hoses to the Sanden. I'm also using PAG oil and R134a. I could provide some pictures and parts numbers if you need them.

I like using the Sanden because its available from multiple sources and usually at a good price. The old R4 and A6 compressors are usually quite a bit more expensive, and don't seem to be as reliable.

Only the temp control is cable operated on an A/C truck. The factory A/C vents depend on the connections to the vacuum motors, and that old hard vacuum line gets brittle and sometimes breaks. However, you can buy hard vacuum line in small rolls from any auto parts store, and just splice in new sections using small pieces of rubber vacuum tubing.

Bruce

Last edited:

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
@75gmck25 i could definitely use some pictures and part numbers! Its a v belt motor for all but alternator, it has a seperntine hybrid system

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
@75gmck25 hey thanks so much! Ill be ordering that to complete my lmc conversion.

Bobby tow

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
GM actually installed sanden A/Cs or sanden style a/c on 1999 Tahoe's and pickup trucks. I was pulling brackets at a junk yard from a 1999 Tahoe to upgrade my vbelt system to serpentine belt system on my 1982 c30 square. I grabbed the sanden compressor as it bolts right up to the GM aluminum brackets that place alternator on passenger side and compressor on driver side.

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
well I am short on time so I took the plunge and bought and LMC Electronic replacement AC kit for our 1987 Suburban. No more vacuum lines, a cleaner engine bay and virtually the whole system will be brand new! The install wont begin until next weekend but that also gives me time to allow the Sanden compressor to arrive. I will take plenty of pictures and do a mini-thread on the progress. Thanks for all the help lads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224