Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Do any of you have a cold air intake on your trucks? If so where did you get it?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think they are obtainable, but the best intake for your truck is the factory air cleaner. Far less restrictive than a pointy filter and a tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I think they are obtainable, but the best intake for your truck is the factory air cleaner. Far less restrictive than a pointy filter and a tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanna habe it look different than everybody else.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just wanna habe it look different than everybody else.

Then why do you want to know what everyone else did?

Anyway, the simplest thing is to hook the snorkel end of the thermac air cleaner to the stock fitting in the stock location, between the battery and the radiator. There is a knockout in that location in the radiator bulkhead that accepts the factory fitting. My truck was without the thermac and the stock bulkhead fitting -- it had one of those two-chrome-pie-plate open-element things -- so I got both at the local salvage yard. For the hose I used a bendable 4" aluminum clothes dryer tube from the big-box hardware store.

Here is a write-up I did on another forum at the time, several years back. This is mostly about how to hook up a heat riser to the headers, but it shows the cold-air induction as well.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...m/498719-induction-system-350cid-headers.html

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I already had a factory air cleaner but was missing the plastic cold air tube. I ordered one from LMC but it was too long. I scored one at a junkyard. My truck still had the plastic part on the radiator support.

Installing the cold air duct and installing the plastic front air dam piece helped me get about 1 mpg boost.

It definitely helps to get cooler air to the engine. In the car design business we call the intake air temperature increase "Rise over Ambient" and it is the 3rd biggest external factor in bringing down an engines performance after intake and exhaust restrictions.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have to keep the TAC intact for emissions testing but a second snorkel was added for increased air flow.

You must be registered for see images attach

Some abs pipe attached to the core support in the lower left corner provides the secondary intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah when I swap my LQ4 into my blazer I plan on making something like the factory intake that my suburban has

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64