cluster wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I see tons of issues with people having gas gauge issues. But my issue is with the whole cluster, nothing works except the speedo. Before I purchased the truck did have volt/coolant/oil pressure aftermarket gauges installed. But I want to get the stock cluster back up and running. Is there a wire diagram or a common issue that I should look for? Plus I mean, who doesn't want to know how much gas they have in their truck?

SHILOW

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your gauges work then it may be your printed circuit board.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If my gages work? Currently they aren't working. Do you mean of they don't? An is there a way to test them?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do you have a multi-tester? Is the plug even connected in the back of the cluster?

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes an haven't checked yet. Figured I'd get all the info before I tear into it

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You'll have to look around and see how the AM gauges were installed. But I'll bet all they did was cut the leads to the variable resistance senders for the individual OEM gauges and tie in the AM gauges.

Sounds like you're describing the cockpit of a jet but there are actually only 2 gauges to deal with. Oil pressure and coolant temperature.

I doubt they installed an aftermarket gas gauge and the voltmeter has no variable resistance leg - it just senses system voltage via the GAGE/IDLE fuse.

The gas gauge is a separate issue.

On the voltmeter make sure the GAGE/IDLE fuse is installed and not blown:

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as the temp/press gauges: Best to start at the senders and trace the leads back until you find where they cut and spliced in for the AM gauges. When you find the cut/splice, reconnect as factory and see what you get.

The coolant temp sensing leg is a dark green wire that comes off the sender (in the head between 1 & 3 cylinders). It runs back along the valve cover and enters the harness near the distributor (drivers side).

The lead for the oil pressure gauge sensing leg is a single tan wire that connects to the bell shaped sender located behind the distributor passenger's side:

You must be registered for see images attach

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks, I'll try that tonight after work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1