Cluster install for DUMMIES...help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Hey guys, Im about install the cluster from CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS - I need to HACK my wire harness and tie it into the new cluster - I've been looking for a wire diagram that I can understand, for exactly my '87

All of them have ranges...
You must be registered for see images attach
- and I'm not very good at reading those. Im trying.....But it's freaking hard. I don't have 'that' ability like other do.

Anyone know of a wire diagram that's straight forward? that tells me exactly which wire is which? something for DUMMIES...

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'll be watching this because I'm kinda in the same boat. Wish I could help you more but I too am I dummy when it comes to wiring. Lol

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I found the diagram below. - I think I

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
dang.

i thought they were plug and play.
i thought the cluster specific 'circuit board' handled all the routing/re-routing.

good luck!
:)

note to self;
leave cluster alone in my truck.
;)

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
That is not the right instrument cluster. Are you doing this to upgrade to the tachometer ? You'd do better to get the right cluster, which is plug and play, and add a dash mounted tach.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
The drawing you posted is for a cluster with warning lights not gauges. Can you post the diagram that came with the new cluster?

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
That is not the right instrument cluster. Are you doing this to upgrade to the tachometer ? You'd do better to get the right cluster, which is plug and play, and add a dash mounted tach.

Here's the manufacturer....

https://shop.classicinstruments.com/velocity-black-1973-87-chevygmc-truck-package

I got this from LMC... part# 37-8827

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/chevy-1973-91-classic-instrument-gauge-clusters

Can I ask - why you think it's wrong?

I didn't put it in - its' over my head. but maybe it's the wrong one. that's why

I've uploaded the interaction manual -

Attachments

• 1973-1987 Chevy Truck Installation Manual Revision 032720.pdf
    890.4 KB · Views: 150

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
The drawing you posted is for a cluster with warning lights not gauges. Can you post the diagram that came with the new cluster?

Hey Turbo Dog - 'that came from the HaYNES REPAIR MANUAL' for 67-87 CHEVY GMC Pick ups. (which in my opinion is a wast of ink)

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I took a look through the installation manual and it looks pretty straight forward to me...being that I was a former ASE Master Tech with a degree in Electronics. If it came with the new coolant temp, oil pressure, and speedo encoder it should work out fine.

For example: The Dark Green wire in your manual that goes to a coolant temp switch will be removed from that switch on the engine and connected to the new sending unit installed in place of the switch, then at the other end in the dash connect that same Dark Green wire in the truck's harness to the Green wire coming from the new gauge cluster you purchased.

Edward Koleman

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I'll post the diagram when i get home from 87 cluster build. Gives every wire on the connector as some are doubles and redundant.

View media item 7851

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I took a look through the installation manual and it looks pretty straight forward to me...being that I was a former ASE Master Tech with a degree in Electronics. If it came with the new coolant temp, oil pressure, and speedo encoder it should work out fine.

For example: The Dark Green wire in your manual that goes to a coolant temp switch will be removed from that switch on the engine and connected to the new sending unit installed in place of the switch, then at the other end in the dash connect that same Dark Green wire in the truck's harness to the Green wire coming from the new gauge cluster you purchased.

I wish you were my neighbor! You just made something, that was, so difficult for me - so very simple.

I'll pay you a $100 if you tell me were to hook every wire! Seriously. - if you can make it simple, like that - you have a talent, you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. -

- I am not an ASE Master Tech not do I have a degree in Electronics - Im, only a backyard mechanic that knows a little about a lot. - (but not enough of any of it....) -

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I will be passing by sometime around the end of this month. I am having a custom trailer built and I expect it to be finished and I think it will be in Fitzgerald. Stay in touch and if you don't have it completed I can swing by and help you solve any other problems you have encountered.

For now just use what I wrote as a pattern and the pinout posted above should help you identify each circuit. Just take it one circuit at a time, and cross them off with a pencil when they are done. If you start with the power and ground you will be able to test each of the other circuits as you complete them. Just turn the key off each time you do some work.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I will be passing by sometime around the end of this month. I am having a custom trailer built and I expect it to be finished and I think it will be in Fitzgerald. Stay in touch and if you don't have it completed I can swing by and help you solve any other problems you have encountered.

For now just use what I wrote as a pattern and the pinout posted above should help you identify each circuit. Just take it one circuit at a time, and cross them off with a pencil when they are done. If you start with the power and ground you will be able to test each of the other circuits as you complete them. Just turn the key off each time you do some work.

Thanks you and -

yes I think you would come right by me - Something else too, there's a great local owned steakhouse in Fitzgerald, I know where it is - I can't recall the name - but, I know someone who does - I'll ask her tonight and get back with you on that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising