clunk into reverse or drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Stock rochester, so i assume stock brackets. I was going to go look now. Adjustment looks easy, just might need someone else to push the gas

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
If theres excess backlash between your 2 gears, it will clunk going into gear. Mine does this and its not really hurting anything unless your those that floor it as your putting it into gear and neutral drop.

But I guess I have enough power i don't have to be like them XD.

Excess backlash would cause whining too?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you have a stock manifold too then a stock bracket is the way to go.

I have a 77 divorced choke 4mv Rochester on a edelbrock 2101 manifold. I was using the stock bracket shimmed with washers and the back tab bent back to the rear manifold bolt. It never seemed to shift quite right from 1-2 though and then I realized that the slider should come out at least one notch to get a correct setting on the cable.

So I bought a TCI bracket #376700 that fits the Qaudrajet. Looked like the ticket ! But im not completely happy with it either. It doesn't seem to sit down far enough to make the cable level with the carb base. It also ever so slightly does not clear the rear manifold vacuum port behind the carb, which really surprises me! I will fix that with a 1/2 inch Rochester carb spacer( I think MR GASKET makes them) And maybe ever so slightly bend the whole thing down a bit to correct the cable misalignment. Its only off by an 1/8 inch or so. It also has no spot to connect your return springs.

I drilled a hole in the bracket for the springs.

It does however sit further rearward from the carb and allows me to adjust the cable with the slider extended. This has cleared up my clunking issue.

And it looks nice IMO. Neat and tidy.

I am not completely satisfied with it just yet though. Gonna try tweaking it a little more.

So really soft shifts burn up clutch packs where as some what firm shifts are what you want but not too firm.

So with the engine off, push in your release tab and at the same time push the slider all the ways back into its housing. Then release the release tab. Then rotate the throttle valve to wide open throttle in one continuous motion and release ensuring that it returns all the way to the idle position. Your TV cable is set.

So im confused a little bit? According to some you must adjust it by manually rotating your throttle valve from under the hood while others say to use the throttle pedal to adjust it.?

From what I can tell it should travel a set amount from closed throttle to WOT thus the need for the correct geometry on the linkage. so I would assume the manual process for adjusting it would be correct. Not sure why some transmission shops like MONSTER TRANSMISSION suggest using the throttle pedal method?

After installing the TCI bracket I have only manually adjusted the TV cable from under the hood, and although much better im still not completely satisfied. So maybe today I will try it with the pedal and see how that works.

If that fails I think will take it to a transmission shop to have it checked with a pressure gauge.

That being said I have been thinking of permanently installing a pressure gauge in the truck. Has anyone done this before? and how difficult is it?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
So really soft shifts burn up clutch packs where as some what firm shifts are what you want but not too firm.

trueish, the harsher the shift, the longer your trans clutches will last, but to harsh is just unpleastent to drive.

If you build a trans and leave the cushion plates out, your clutches will last longer, and it will give you a nice shift.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
trueish, the harsher the shift, the longer your trans clutches will last, but to harsh is just unpleastent to drive.

If you build a trans and leave the cushion plates out, your clutches will last longer, and it will give you a nice shift.
x2 I wish more folks would understand this.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
In general my shifts are hard.

I will try adjusting the cable tonight

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I didn't see this thread until now. Is this a 700r4 transmission??? It's got all the classic signs of a 700r4 about to go South on you. Of course, all the other things are worthy of checking out first, but the whining, and going into gear hard, that's a 700r4 on it's way out. I don't have any diagnostic flow charts handy at the moment to tell you exactly what parts are failing if this is the problem but I've heard of it several times before. Sometimes it doesn't matter what parts are failing, because regardless, the trans would require a rebuild if it does go South.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I didn't see this thread until now. Is this a 700r4 transmission??? It's got all the classic signs of a 700r4 about to go South on you. Of course, all the other things are worthy of checking out first, but the whining, and going into gear hard, that's a 700r4 on it's way out. I don't have any diagnostic flow charts handy at the moment to tell you exactly what parts are failing if this is the problem but I've heard of it several times before. Sometimes it doesn't matter what parts are failing, because regardless, the trans would require a rebuild if it does go South.

Well that sucks. Most likely not the differential then? Should be the 700r4?

Need some further research I think

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
How about torque converter?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A 700r4 will have that pump whine.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I thin I'm going to drain, change the filter, and refill. Maybe it will help. Probably not

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Tried adjusting my tv cable, but i don't think it worked correctly.

1. Press button
2. Push slider toward bracket
3. Release button
4, rotate throttle to wot

Unless i got the steps wrong, im stuck on 4. The slider says in the farthest back position and doesn't move forward at all!.

Help

Edit: well, cable clips broke :( are all tv cable replacements equal? I think it was supposed to be self adjusting and it was pretty much stuck and probably needed to be replaced

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Do you have a trans cooler?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
x2 I wish more folks would understand this.

I just stuck a th350 in my monte that has a shift kit in it, it churps the tires under WOT, but its not as agressive as ide like, so im gonna find me a trans to rebuild and leave the cushions out of it.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Maybe, there is a smaller radiator in front of the condenser, i haven't seen where the lines go yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB