Clicking / Clunking Noise in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Ok, this is driving me kinda crazy.
I have a clunk clunk clunk noise (pretty damn loud and rattly) coming from my front end in 4wd.
It seems to clunk on every revolution, and seems to be coming from the drivers side.
I looked at the outer cv joint on that side and it was sloppy so I changed it. Made no difference.

It ONLY makes the noise if it's in 4WD and the DRIVERS side hub is locked. If I put it in 4WD and only lock the passenger side there's no noise.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Even anything I might be able to rule out? The truck has brand new manual locking hubs (but it made the noise with the autos and the new manuals)

Transfer case? Front diff? I don't know.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you able to put the truck on jack stands and let it idle in 4WD to hunt for the noise? Or have someone drive it with you walking next to it to listen for the noise? How are your ball joints? How are the spindle bearings?

I would complete disassemble the left side and inspect all the bearings and signs of any slop or hitting. On the upper ball joint is there a grease fitting on the bottom of it which could hit the axle u-joint in the knuckle.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Unfortunately, I don't have 4 jack stands. I thought of that, too.
And i probably shouldn't have my 8yo daughter drive it while I walk beside it. :D
The rest of the stuff I could certainly check.
I went over everything pretty well when I swapped the joint out and didn't notice any bearing issues, but I thought the splines on the outer end of the shaft were a tad worn. Don't think enough to be a problem, but possibly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Are you able to put the truck on jack stands and let it idle in 4WD to hunt for the noise? Or have someone drive it with you walking next to it to listen for the noise? How are your ball joints? How are the spindle bearings?

I would complete disassemble the left side and inspect all the bearings and signs of any slop or hitting. On the upper ball joint is there a grease fitting on the bottom of it which could hit the axle u-joint in the knuckle.
I was just thinking, too, that it doesn't make any noise with the hub locked in but 4wd off. Its only when it's in 4wd with that hub locked.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Others know alot more then i do. But from what your saying I'd be pulling apart the hub itself and checking that out. If thats all good and greased then I'd be checking my front differential and u joints in the front axle.

My thinking is that those parts only move when the t-case is in 4wd. If it isn't in 4wd they stay stationary.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Others know alot more then i do. But from what your saying I'd be pulling apart the hub itself and checking that out. If thats all good and greased then I'd be checking my front differential and u joints in the front axle.

My thinking is that those parts only move when the t-case is in 4wd. If it isn't in 4wd they stay stationary.
Good thoughts. My next step, I think, is looking at the front diff.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good thoughts. My next step, I think, is looking at the front diff.

Just a throught but if you just have two jack stands, you could take the rear drive line out, put the front on the stands and idle it in 4wd. Would help pin point the noise before pulling anything apart.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
Just a throught but if you just have two jack stands, you could take the rear drive line out, put the front on the stands and idle it in 4wd. Would help pin point the noise before pulling anything apart.
That's true, I could definitely do that. Thats a good idea.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It ONLY makes the noise if it's in 4WD and the DRIVERS side hub is locked. If I put it in 4WD and only lock the passenger side there's no noise.

This test could be misleading unless you have a locker in there. I think. It's been 20 years since I have been in one of these front axles.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
This test could be misleading unless you have a locker in there. I think. It's been 20 years since I have been in one of these front axles.
I should have updated this.
It was most definitely the front driveshaft.
Once I got it on 4 jack stands it was pretty obvious that the shaft was flopping around like a fish out of water. A ujoint was bad, and the centering joint was gone (except for the ball on one end).
It actually took me a minute because it wouldn't make any noise unloaded and in gear. It made a nice loud clunk clunk clunk when I hit the brakes, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20