Choke Wiring/hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 1983 k10 with a 350 in it, with an edelbrock carb.

So, i also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
So, i had my truck at school today (a technical school) and the teacher there (who worked at a GM dealership back like 20-30 years ago) was helping me get my electric choke set up right.
Normally, and he was showing me on engines that ran and worked but werent in vehicles, the oil pressure sensor would thread into the block back nearly underneath the distributor. But, what i have there is a fitting going in, with a hose coming out of it going to my oil pressure gauge. The wiring for my choke is all screwed up, i figured out what the problem with it is but that whole deals a nightmare, so ignore the old wiring, im not gonna use it at all.
He was saying to get a fitting to fit into the block, then have a tee fitting, and from that tee fitting have the oil pressure gauge fitting thread in, and to buy an oil pressure switch for the engine to put to the other part of the tee.

Then, i would use it how it should be wired factory:
Key on power to oil pressure switch/sensor, from that to choke, to ground

Would this all work?

Thanks!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just put an electric choke on my '77 truck and have a mechanical oil pressure gauge also. I just wired up the electric choke to the fuse box inside the cab. Some of the terminals on it are switched with the ignition. It works great.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I know i could do it that way, but i like to do things more how theyre supposed to be factory. So, by usin the oil pressure switch, itll be wired factory.
I got all the stuff i need now so probably tomorrow ill put it in and see if it works!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep your shop teacher is right. The switch is a pressure activated switch and all these trucks came from the factory that way.

I too have an edelbrock and wired my choke directly to the ign on fuse box, because I didn't have the switch to install. It works but the problem is if you turn the key on and don't start the truck it still heats your choke and so if your engine is cold now your choke wont come on.

The factory way you turn the ign on but so what, the choke wont be energized until the oil pressure turns the switch on. So the choke is only powered while the engine is running. This also helps to prevent battery drain.

The choke comes on until the electric current heats the choke spring expanding it and thus opening the choke plate turning the choke off.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I like idea of adding the pressure switch back there. And like Ogre said, it won't energize the choke until there is oil pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman