Choke not closing on rebuilt quadrajet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I turned the screws all the way in, backed them out 2 1/2 turns, then adjusted to maximum vacuum, which ended up about 16
16” doesn’t seem like great idle vacuum on an engine with a factory cam, but I don’t know 400s at all. Was the vacuum gauge sealing well?

You may have a vacuum leak. Check carb base and manifold gasket for leaks as well as vacuum lines and vacuum line caps. Rubber vacuum caps on unused nipples can crack and be hard to notice. Try isolating the brake booster and cruise control (if equipped) from the system when testing to help narrow it down.

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You've got a leaking well plug(s) and the internal pump is trash. You need to replace the internal pump with one that has seals that can handle these ethanol infused fuels. Seal the wells while you're in there.
Ok, since a rebuild kit was just installed can I do only the things you mentioned or do I need new gaskets and stuff?

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
16” doesn’t seem like great idle vacuum on an engine with a factory cam, but I don’t know 400s at all. Was the vacuum gauge sealing well?

You may have a vacuum leak. Check carb base and manifold gasket for leaks as well as vacuum lines and vacuum line caps. Rubber vacuum caps on unused nipples can crack and be hard to notice. Try isolating the brake booster and cruise control (if equipped) from the system when testing to help narrow it down.
Makes sense, before I adjusted the mixture it was a pound or so higher, but one side was only out 1 1/2 turns, the other side was out 2 1/2 turns. Would a leak in the brake booster cause the brakes to grab?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Ok, since a rebuild kit was just installed can I do only the things you mentioned or do I need new gaskets and stuff?

A rebuild kit will not fix a leaking well. Whomever did the rebuild should have done it and many of them will tell you they fixed it, but they didn't.
The rebuild kit should tell you if the pump was designed for ethanol fuels.

I hope it's something more minor. Q-jets can be a pain but once you get through the pain they can be great.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Based on the Ruggles book info, leaking well plugs were common on early Quadrajets, but the problem was supposedly fixed on the newer carbs from the 80s. YMMV.

The rebuild kit should have come with a new accelerator pump piston and spring that will hold up to newer fuels, but it depends on the kit. The kit should also have included a new steel checkball that is dropped into the pump well to seal it and hold fuel for the accelerator pump. You can also adjust the pump shot by moving the rod into a different hole in the link arm.

Bruce

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
A rebuild kit will not fix a leaking well. Whomever did the rebuild should have done it and many of them will tell you they fixed it, but they didn't.
The rebuild kit should tell you if the pump was designed for ethanol fuels.

I hope it's something more minor. Q-jets can be a pain but once you get through the pain they can be great.

Well I bet he didn't do it because he didn't even tune it after he mounted it, Not sure the pump parts were replaced, I'll look up the kit and see if I can figure it out because I do think he replaced the stuff that came with the kit. Like I said I'm pretty ignorant, but certainly capable of learning.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'll post some info for you later. Georgia game's on now.

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Based on the Ruggles book info, leaking well plugs were common on early Quadrajets, but the problem was supposedly fixed on the newer carbs from the 80s. YMMV.

The rebuild kit should have come with a new accelerator pump piston and spring that will hold up to newer fuels, but it depends on the kit. The kit should also have included a new steel checkball that is dropped into the pump well to seal it and hold fuel for the accelerator pump. You can also adjust the pump shot by moving the rod into a different hole in the link arm.

Bruce
I'll check out the kit see if I can figure it out, and also ask him, see if I can get him to at least answer questions.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If they start babbling; I'd walk away and not waste my time.

Just don't let them baffle you with BS.

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
he did say something about a gasket for the accelerator pump that wasn't included, but he also said the old one looked good

BINGO!

The A #1 part other than bushings that get the most wear. I don't know how long it's had that pump in there but there is a good chance that it is NOT made of the material that can withstand ethanol.

It doesn't make a dam if it looks good or not. If you're rebuilding a Q-Jet, you replace it, period.
I don't think you can buy those separately. I could be wrong there.

I do suggest that you contact Cliff Ruggles (740-397-2921), give him the number from the side of your carb and perhaps he can help you out with one. You'll have to install it yourself. It's not hard but YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL.

I also suggest that you buy Cliff's book on Q-Jets. It'll be some of the best $30 you'll ever spend.

BTW, go here:

https://cliffshighperformance.com/request-a-quote

This will help you gather the info you will need to tell Cliff so that he can get you the CORRECT parts.

He's a Veteran so he is likely out until Tuesday.
Keep us posted on how everything goes.

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok thanks so much, The truck is usable now so I can easily wait until Tuesday. I think I saw that gasket by itself somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. Meanwhile I'll get the book.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The "gasket" (more like a circular rubber seal) that goes on the accelerator pump is available separately, but every kit I've used has come with a complete new accelerator pump assembly with a new seal and the spiral spring to keep it in place. I believe the newer seals are blue color to distinguish them from the stock black rubber seal.

Another item to check is the operation of the choke pull-off. It is controlled by engine vacuum and if the throttle is off the high idle cam (which allows the linkage to move freely) it will pull the choke away from full closed position in about 3-5 seconds whenever vacuum is applied. Its purpose is to let the choke be full rich to get the engine started, but then allow a little more air in once its running. If this is not working properly the engine may not run right after startup until the choke is fully opened by the spring mechanism.

The point of my explanation of the choke pulloff is that the choke has to be adjusted so that you get a very rich choke position for starting, and then normal choke operation for further warmup (it then moves based on spring in the choke housing). The rebuilder should have checked to make sure this mechanism is there and it works.

The way my carb works when cold is I pump it 2-3 times to get fuel into the carb, and then turn the key with my foot off the accelerator and it will fire up. Since it is cold and the choke is on, the throttle is on the high idle cam and the choke is almost completely closed. I just let it run in this rich position for about a minute, and then raise engine speed a little to let the choke pulloff move the choke plate farther open for further warmup. If the weather is colder (teens, etc.) I might have to let it run longer in the rich position, sometimes for several minutes.

Bruce

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Does it have the black puck looking doohickey with three screws holding it down?

If so, first thing in the morning a full press of your throttle pedal should set(close) the choke plate. If it doesn’t close try this: mark the black puck at 12 o’clock so you know where you started, loosen the three screws enough to rotate the black puck until the choke plate just barely closes. Don’t burry it forward; in fact, go till it closes then back off a smidge. Then retighten the screws.

Btw, you’ll need your air filter removed to see what you’re doing. Only do this while it’s cold.

X2! This is the right way to adjust your electric choke. Spot on! Good post, Frankenchevy!

yellowdog5

Reaction score
First Name
Faith
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
X2! This is the right way to adjust your electric choke. Spot on! Good post, Frankenchevy!
Yes and it was what caused me to discover that this part of the choke had not been properly installed, it was a HUGE help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep