chevy 350 running cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Has anybody had the issue of their engine running to cold? I know it probably sounds crazy but I my engine will never go above 130 deg F or so.
I've even put a thermal temp gun to the block while the engine was running. I"ve done just about everything except change my gauge which I really don't think is the issue. The top and bottom radiator hose have about the same warmth. Any ideas????

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Missing the thermostat. Located under the upper radiator hose intake housing.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I have replaced the thermostat, thinking I had a faulty stat from the beginning. I've even re-routed the heater core return to go directly back to pump instead of the radiator, bypassing the stat.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sounds like you have a super efficient radiator. That's a bad thing! Send it to me lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What is the temperature range of the thermostat?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
BB radiator on a SB???

did you put Purple ICE in it or something?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
if the thermostat is working it should not open until the temp rating. it should at least get up to that temp. sounds like a bad t-stat. I have seen allot of bad ones right out of the box lately. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I should have added are you sure your gauge is accurate? check by leaving the cap off put a thermometer in the water and compare to the gauge. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Leakage around the t-stat?

For the cooling system to reach normal operating temperature, the entire thermostat assembly must completely shut off the flow of coolant to the radiator.

Even if your t-stat valve is checked in a pan of water and found to be working correctly (stays tightly closed until rated temp is reached), it doesn't guarantee that the entire assembly is tight.

It is common to find leakage past the thermostat flange. The flange is supposed to be clamped between the recess in the intake manifold and the water outlet - which would create a water-tight seal.

But sometimes, due to a number of factors, this seal is lost and engine coolant is allowed to flow into the radiator as soon as the engine is started. This image shows a different type of t-stat but the idea of flange leakage is the same:

You must be registered for see images attach

If the leakage is severe enough, the engine coolant cannot reach design temperature.

Here are a couple of things to check:

That the landing area in the intake manifold is clean and not excessively pitted:

Also that the water outlet housing is securely clamping the t-stat down in the recess of the manifold. Pull the upper radiator hose and check for looseness with a screwdriver:

You could also pressure test the thermostat:

Pull the upper radiator hose from the t-stat housing - leave the other end connected. Make up a rig that will allow you to apply compressed air to the open end of the hose.
Press up the cooling system with just a few pounds of air (2-3 is plenty). Spray soap suds down into the housing and watch for bubbles.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, defective Tstat. For some reason, I too have never gotten so many bad Tstats in the last several years, especially the Fail Safes. Seems to be run warm 1 time while towing something uphill and hit 200 degrees that damn thing is stuck open and I'd be freezing my ass off.

There's a thread around here somewhere I was working on a Temp gauge for several days and at my wits end cuz I tested everything and the guage never worked. Had a heater hose leaking at a bend and noticed my temp guage was going very warm for some reason and it made me pull over to see what was up. I then realized my temp gauge had been working the whole time. It turned out to be a defective thermostat AGAIN. 2 replaced in less than 6mo for being stuck open. I finally bought the cheap ass $3 one and haven't had any issues so far.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
The stat I pulled out was a 195 deg but I replaced with a 180deg F. I bought the truck with a GM crate engine. I've had a thermal heat gun on the block and the gauge was pretty much right on +-5deg. I buddy was telling me about some vehicles coming with 3 hoses off the heater core? Does anyone know what he's talking about?the only thing I knowis the 2 hose systems.Hven't drained the coolant, I guess maybe I should do that to verify there hasn't been anything else other antifreezed interduced into the system

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Never seen a three hose heater system, especially on our trucks. It's almost got to be thermostat related. The flow of coolant thru the engine is restricted by the stat. If the stat never reaches it's operating temp (185) the coolant never should flow. Coolant must be leaking or getting around the stat.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
So how is your heater core return hose ran? My truck was attached to the radiator, I moved it to the pump to see if it would make a difference. It did not.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Before the Vintage Air install it was from the radiator. After from the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP