Carb secondaries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quentinc25

Reaction score
First Name
Quentin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I had an eldebrock on my 1985 GMC 305 that needed to be rebuilt. The secondary’s wouldn't open and it had tons of leaks. I decided to go head and get a rebuilt Q-Jet (M4ME) to install. The motor runs great now but the secondary’s still will not open. Going down the highway they just will not kick in. One thing I need to check when I have some else in my shop is to make sure when the petal is pushed all the way that I am at full throttle. I will also see if the choke is stopping it. There is a vacuum port that goes into the secondary’s valve on the passenger side. Looks like a T with a port coming out toward the front (currently blocked off), one going into the valve and another into the carb. Does this need to have a vacuum line attached and if so where? I thought the vacuum secondary’s used the vacuum created by the carb when the throttle is pressed and didn't need a vacuum line but just thought I would ask. Any hints or info would be greatly appreciated.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes that hose needs to be hooked to vacuum for the secondaries to operate. On your Edelbrock they were mechanical secondaries and should have been operating no matter what, unless the linkage rod came loose.

quentinc25

Reaction score
First Name
Quentin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Yes that hose needs to be hooked to vacuum for the secondaries to operate. On your Edelbrock they were mechanical secondaries and should have been operating no matter what, unless the linkage rod came loose.

Thanks, I will just need to figure out where to connect the vacuum port to. All the emissions was stripped out of this truck at one point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris