C20 350 True Dual Exhaust - Glasspacks or Turbos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hi all,

This didn't seem to fit very well in any of the subcategories in Engines and Performance, so I hope nobody will mind if I put it here.
I have a 79 C20 pickup with a new 350 and I want to replace the stock exhaust. I'm thinking true dual, cut the cat (no emissions test here), and do 3" aluminized pipe. Only thing is I am stuck on which muffler to get.
I want really good flow, like the glasspacks would give, but I don't want them too loud it's not fun to drive 70 miles. I'd like to keep my teeth in my skull! So should I go with glasspacks or the (slightly?) quieter turbo muffler? Will the turbo impede my flow that much?

Or should I consider a different exhaust setup? I'm always open to new ideas.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
3" is too big for a 350 in a dual exhaust. You can't flow anywhere near that much with a normally aspirated engine. Run 2.25" duals. Bigger is not better, just more money.

A 2" H-pipe will help performance. Easy for the muffler shop to cut it in. Check this thread.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/classics/517289-new-exhaust-system.html

For mufflers, I am running Flowmaster 40s, which are a little loud, but not crazy. The Flowmaster 50s are quieter.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Really 2 inch will do the job quite nicely. Too big and you kill low end grunt. I put 2 1/2 inch duals and I noticed the drop in low end torque.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
3" is too big for a 350 in a dual exhaust. You can't flow anywhere near that much with a normally aspirated engine. Run 2.25" duals. Bigger is not better, just more money.

A 2" H-pipe will help performance. Easy for the muffler shop to cut it in. Check this thread.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/classics/517289-new-exhaust-system.html

For mufflers, I am running Flowmaster 40s, which are a little loud, but not crazy. The Flowmaster 50s are quieter.

I like that setup, and his truck looks almost identical to mine but with a lift. I like that he says it's quiet cruising but loud down low and has a good idle tone - that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Looks like he had it done right. What's the advantage of a balancing pipe? It just equalizes pressure when under load?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
A V8 does not split the combustion strokes left/right/left/right, but rather you end up with pairs within each bank firing next to each other. This can create odd paired pulses in the separate exhaust pipes. Adding an H or X pipe helps the extra pulses move to the not-currently-used-during-that-pulse other tube.

A bit more work, but better torque and sound.

I did 1-1/2" primary tube headers, into 2-1/2" pipe, an X pipe, the cheapest "turbo" mufflers I could buy, and 2-1/4" tails.

With my lumpy cam, it sounds healthy, but not obnoxious. Like a bouncer wearing a 3-piece suit.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

No idea about torque before and after, as I never drove the truck before I started building it. It's fine as it is, but needs more gear.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What's the advantage of a balancing pipe? It just equalizes pressure when under load?

No. If you look at the firing order, it's 18436572, or LRRLRLLR. So when 4 exhausts, the pressure from 8 is still there, and when 7 fires, the pressure from 5 is still there. The balance pipe gives more space for the pressure from 8 and 5 in particular to go. If the firing order was LRLRLRLR, I don't think a balance pipe would help. There's no actual flow through there, the air in the balance pipe just moves back and forth.

Anyway, two ways to do it, an H-pipe and an X configuration. I believe the H-pipe helps torque more, the X configuration helps horsepower more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512